Brothers came head to head in Ipswich and District Table Tennis Championship finals
- Credit: citizenside.com
Ryan Collins retained his men’s title for the fourth year running after beating brother Jake as the Ipswich and District Table Tennis Championships concluded at the Corn Exchange on Sunday.
In a hard fought battle, Sonja Talbot overcame the challenge of Rosemary Curtis to win the ladies title for the first time since 2002 whilst number one seed Ryan beat his brother and number two seed Jake, in what was an entertaining display of powerful topspin from both players.
The men’s doubles saw Ryan and Jake claim their ninth title as they held off surprise finalists Mike Wright and Jim Farrow, whilst in the ladies event the partnership of Clair Westlake and Karen Pengelly proved to be too strong for Talbot and Curtis.
In other events, the mixed doubles was won by Ryan Collins and Clair Westlake for the fourth year in a row, whilst the veteran’s final was a fairly one-sided affair with Andy Warner beating Wayne Shaw to take his record 8th title
The junior boys final saw Dan Shelley win his third title against the rapidly improving Jack Pengelly who had already taken the cadet title, whilst in the junior girl’s event Katherine Shaw took her revenge on Natalie Wills in a reversal of last year’s result.
The junior doubles was taken by Shelley and Pengelly, whilst in the super vets Malcolm Collins dominated the field and the restricted singles was won by Rex Manning who regained the title he last won in 2013.
A huge well done to all who took part, and special thanks must go to the Mayor of Ipswich for presenting the trophies.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 9 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault