Burley beaten on return to Layer Road
Colchester United 2 Southampton 0IT WAS an unhappy return to Layer Road for former Colchester United boss George Burley, as he watched his Southampton side crash to defeat at the hands of Geraint Williams' in-form troops.
By Carl Marston
Colchester United 2 Southampton 0
IT WAS an unhappy return to Layer Road for former Colchester United boss George Burley, as he watched his Southampton side crash to defeat at the hands of Geraint Williams' in-form troops.
An early goal from Kevin McLeod put the U's in the driving seat, and after soaking up a good deal of late pressure, they made the game safe with Jamie Cureton's injury-time second goal.
Burley had angered the U's faithful by resigning as Colchester boss on Christmas Eve, 1994, to take over the reins at Ipswich, and this was his first return as an opposing manager.
But it was not a dream return for the Scotsman. McLeod headed home Cureton's cross to give the U's a third minute lead, and they could have added to this in a dominant first-half display.
- 1 Severe delays on A14 and Orwell Bridge after wheel falls off ambulance
- 2 Lorry recovered after overturning on A14 roundabout at Felixstowe
- 3 Two hour delays on A14 after road closed near Felixstowe
- 4 5 businesses opening up in Ipswich soon
- 5 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 6 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
- 7 Driver taken to hospital after three-car crash on A12 near Ipswich
- 8 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 9 A14 slip road closed near Ipswich after BMW catches fire
- 10 Memorial match for colleague killed outside takeaway
However, Southampton mounted a strong late rally, until Cureton settled the nerves by chasing onto Greg Halford's long ball and burying a shot from 10 yards out. It was his sixth goal of the season.
There was no way back for the Saints, while for the U's this was their fifth straight home win.