Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and Showers

max temp: 18°C

min temp: 15°C

Search
Kings of Anglia Issue 10 Magazine Offer

Burley denies Naylor move rumours

PUBLISHED: 12:35 10 September 2001 | UPDATED: 10:31 03 March 2010

GEORGE Burley has quashed rumours that striker Richard Naylor had asked for a transfer.

But the Blues boss did admit that the 24-year-old front runner had been to talk to him about his future.

GEORGE Burley has quashed rumours that striker Richard Naylor had asked for a transfer.

But the Blues boss did admit that the 24-year-old front runner had been to talk to him about his future.

"Richard has been feeling a bit unsettled, but we are in a situation here where there are several strikers fighting for the places up front. You can only start with eleven," said Burley.

"I have spoken to Richard and explained the situation and we'll have to see what happens from here. Over the past two years Richard has not played that much football and it is good that he is looking fit and sharp now.

"He naturally wants regular first team football, but competition is quite strong for attacking places here."

Naylor scored five goals in pre-season for the Blues but was an unused substitute in the opening match, the 1-0 defeat at Sunderland. He started the next game, at home to Derby, and scored in the 3-1 win.

The following Saturday, the 1-0 home defeat to Charlton, he started but was withdrawn early in the second half.

Naylor did not even make the bench in Saturday's 1-1 draw at Leicester.

Fifteen months ago he underwent surgery to both knees. There was further knee trouble last season, but this pre-season he said he was feeling sharper than for a long time.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists