Champion back after Euro duty
SWIMMING: Ipswich coach Dave Champion has completed his senior stint at the European Short Course Championships in Germany.The 39-year-old was selected by performance director Bill Sweetenham after he attended the Commonwealth Games with star Suffolk swimmer Karen Pickering earlier this year.
By Debbie Watson
IPSWICH coach Dave Champion has completed his senior stint at the European Short Course Championships in Germany.
The 39-year-old was selected by performance director Bill Sweetenham after he attended the Commonwealth Games with star Suffolk swimmer Karen Pickering earlier this year.
This latest top-level event proved a success for Britain, despite it not being classed as a major priority for the current agenda.
In all, Britain won a total of three golds, four silvers and one bronze medal in the Riesa-based competition.
- 1 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 2 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 6 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 7 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
- 8 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 9 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 10 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
Ironically, this tally was more than last year when the squad were at that time fully rested.
Sweetenham has accepted that this event was not his priority, and that instead he is looking to the long term – and in particular to the 2004 Olympic Games.
"We've a long way to go but are moving forward," he said. "I didn't put a priority on this meet this year but will do next year."
Champion will now concentrate his energies back at Ipswich, helping Pickering in her long-term goal of an Olympic gold.
Formerly a coach in Brighton, Champion has been a key player on the team at Ipswich for 14 years.