Cox plays a captain's innings
CRICKET: A CAPTAIN'S innings by Phil Cox steered the Hargreaves Two Counties Championship Over-50s side to their first win of the season over the Suffolk Premier League seniors.
A CAPTAIN'S innings by Phil Cox steered the Hargreaves Two Counties Championship Over-50s side to their first win of the season over the Suffolk Premier League seniors.
His unbeaten 83 was made even sweeter as the victory avenged an earlier defeat by their opponents.
The match at Worlington was sponsored by Clem Thompsett and having bowled the Suffolk Premier side out for 156, with Graham Penny claiming three wickets, the Two Counties eased to a five-wicket success.
The previous day the Two Counties side had drawn against Browns Seniors during the Rushmere-based club's cricket week. John Stuck hit 82 as the Two Counties reached 184 for nine with Martin White and John Mulley claiming seven of the wickets to fall.
You may also want to watch:
David Walsh top scored with 67 in the 12-a-side match which marked the return to the cricket field of Browns' Richard Robinson who picked up a couple of wickets in a lengthy spell of off spin and then cracked a trademark six in the final over.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 7 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 8 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 10 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
Suffolk Premier League seniors 156 (Pugh 43, Reader 27, Robinson 23 n.o., Spall 23, Penny 3 for 32, Clarkson 2 for 28, Carpenter 2 for 44). Hargreaves Two Counties Over-50s 159 for 5 (Cox 83 n.o., McNally 29, G Dale 2 for 34, Robinson 2 for 45). Two Counties won by 5 wkts.
Hargreaves Two Counties Over-50s 184 for 9 (Stuck 82, Bloomfield 27, White 4 for 29, Mulley 3 for 43, Robinson 2 for 57). Browns Seniors 173 for 8 (Walsh 67, Manning 20, Mitchell 4 for 50, Young 2 for 18). Match drawn.
Tomorrow (WEDNESDAY), the Two Counties side are at Star Stile where they meet Halstead Seniors.
The Two Counties side is: Phil Cox (Long Melford, capt), Brian Challis, Graham Penny, Stuart Carpenter (Long Melford), Colin Philpott (Maldon), Neal Manning, John McNally (Browns), John Stonehouse (Eight Ash Green), Phil Jones (Haverhill), Brian Turley (Brightlingsea), Ted Clarkson (Sudbury).