Crane hit for six
Hockey: WALTHAM FOREST 6 CRANE 1For the first time this season Crane started with 11 men on the field, but the newly-promoted team were up against one of the demoted teams from Printwize East League Division Three.
WALTHAM FOREST 6 CRANE 1
For the first time this season Crane started with 11 men on the field, but the newly-promoted team were up against one of the demoted teams from Printwize East League Division Three.
Although Waltham Forest were the stronger team, they only led by a single goal at the interval. After the break, an early goal was a sign that the pressure was about to be turned on Crane. Despite a goal by Dave Sharp, who has given up his goalkeeping pads after three seasons between the posts, the new keeper was subjected to a barrage from Waltham Forest. In the end Crane were second best, but so far this season they have faced probably the three toughest teams in their division.
The "ten man" home game jinx hit Crane seconds this week and transportation problems meant extra effort was required in the unseasonal heat. The first 20 minutes were played at a hectic pace down at Holbrook and both teams created half chances, but it was Crane that went ahead courtesy of Chris O'Sullivan flicking through the narrowest of gaps in the Upminster defence.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors took the initiative early in the second half and equalised, but within a couple of minutes Crane went ahead again when O'Sullivan flicked the ball into the net. O'Sullivan went on to complete his hat-trick but although the numerically superior visitors made full use of the rolling substitutes, Crane can be justifiably pleased at taking the three league points.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial