Crucial win for Ipswich Netball team
Ipswich Ladies, sponsored by MSC, were ready to put in another good performance in the Open Regional League, having beaten Billericay the previous week and made no mistake with a 35-20 victory against Team Beds.
Ipswich started with pace and were defensively strong from the outset. Stevens and Mulley were dictating in the circle and forcing Team Beds to make errors.
Ipswich had moments of good play through the middle but Hollis and Pell were struggling to find the shooters as Team Beds had a tight circle defence initially. Ipswich held on to the lead for the first quarter.
Ipswich started the second quarter with better movement from Phillips and Turner allowing Ipswich to find a bit more rhythm.
The mid court linked in well and Ipswich started to look in more control. Team Beds were not going to make it an easy quarter and put pressure on the entire time, however, the circle defenders and Barber at WD were breaking down their set plays in attack and kept Ipswich in the lead to finish half time 13-10.
You may also want to watch:
Having made some changes Ipswich came out with fresh legs in the second half. Butterton (C), Adams (WA) and Wicks (GA) settled in quickly to the game and kept the pace in attack. Some quick triangles opened up Turner under the post and Ipswich found the back of the net.
It was the final quarter where Ipswich defence completely dominated the game, keeping Team Beds to only scoring one goal. A fantastic quarter by them allowed Ipswich to maintain possession and continue to push on ahead, leaving the final score 35-20.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 9 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
Player of the match went to Nicola Barber for her excellent play in defence.
Ipswich Ladies Regional 1 play Grangers on Sunday 23rd February at Suffolk One at 1.30pm.
GS - Jess Turner, GA - Hannah Phillips-Martindill, WA - Amie Pell, C - Anna Hollis, WD - Nicola Barber, GD - Fiona Mulley, GK - Cat Stevens
Bench: Lucy Adams (Q3,4) Edwina Butterton (Q3,4) Carly Wicks (Q3,4)