Currie goes on trial with LA Galaxy
DARREN Currie could have played his last game for Ipswich Town after leaving today for a trial with David Beckham's new American club LA Galaxy.The midfielder signed for Ipswich in December 2004 from Brighton and his contract expires in the summer.
By Elvin King
DARREN Currie could have played his last game for Ipswich Town after leaving today for a trial with David Beckham's new American club LA Galaxy.
The midfielder signed for Ipswich in December 2004 from Brighton and his contract expires in the summer.
The 32-year-old has made 89 Town appearances and scored nine goals.
LA Galaxy play in the MLS and are coached by former Ipswich defender Frank Yallop.
Currie dismissed reports earlier this month that he might be heading for the States. He is set to stay in California for a fortnight to try to win a contract.
- 1 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 2 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 3 The possible candidates as Ipswich Town search for new boss
- 4 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 5 Harsh or fair? Here's what Town fans are saying about Paul Cook sacking
- 6 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 7 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 8 Two people reported rough sleeping every day in Ipswich last month
- 9 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
Ipswich manager Jim Magilton said: “Darren has not played as much as he would have liked this season.
“He has been a model professional and when the request was made for him to go, we could not stand in his way.
“It is an exciting opportunity. He will see how he gets on and we will take it from there.”
Town striker Billy Clarke won his first Republic of Ireland Under-21 cap against Slovakia in a Madeira tournament last night. He did not score in a 1-0 win.
Clarke now returns home to be available for Saturday's Championship game with QPR.
He will miss further games against a Madeira side today and Portugal on Friday.
Ipswich defender Michael Synnott did not play last night, but he is still in the squad.
Town squad players Owen Garvan and Shane Supple were withdrawn from the tour after being initially selected.