Dale Roberts loses cancer battle
DALE Roberts, the 46-year-old assistant manager to former Ipswich Town boss George Burley, has passed away. He was 46.Roberts died in the Somersham Ward at the Ipswich Hospital this morning.
By Dave Allard
DALE Roberts, the 46-year-old assistant manager to former Ipswich Town boss George Burley, has passed away. He was 46.
Roberts died in the Somersham Ward at the Ipswich Hospital this morning. He has been battling against cancer for the past year.
When Burley left Portman Road in October, Roberts was in the midst of his battle.
But he still retained the assistant manager title under the Joe Royle regime, along with Willie Donachie.
Royle said: "Unfortunately, I never had the privilege of working with Dale but on visits to Ipswich with other clubs I got to know him. He was great guy and highly respected throughout the game. This is a very sad loss."
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 5 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 6 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 7 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested
- 8 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 9 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 10 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
Former England youth international central defender Roberts, who lived at Kesgrave, joined Town as an apprentice professional and made 18 appearances.
He went on the make over 150 appearances for Hull City.
He and Burley were in digs together in Ipswich.
Roberts served under him as assistant manager at Ayr, Colchester and with Town.