Deben swim out of their skins
ALICE Tennant and Matthew Naunton won the respective girls and boys A finals of Deben Swimming Club's annual skins night last weekend.On Saturday evening, approximately 60 of the club's swimmers were given the opportunity to swim 50m freestyle, plus two other strokes over 50m before the finals commenced.
ALICE Tennant and Matthew Naunton won the respective girls and boys A finals of Deben Swimming Club's annual skins night last weekend.
On Saturday evening, approximately 60 of the club's swimmers were given the opportunity to swim 50m freestyle, plus two other strokes over 50m before the finals commenced.
The fastest 48 male and female freestyle swimmers then began an exciting number of races in the skins finals.
The finalists had only four and a half minutes between each round and a ten second warning before the start to increase the exciting atmosphere.
There were some superb races and close competition amongst the swimmers, with most hoping that butterfly would not be picked.
The girls' A final was won by in form 14 year-old Alice Tennant, who swam freestyle in a time of 28.12, while 13 year-old Evie Adams produced some strong competition in second.
- 1 Fire breaks out in café near Ipswich town centre
- 2 Child taken to hospital after collision with car in Ipswich
- 3 Hopes Summertime Ipswich firework display will go ahead
- 4 Car carrying three passengers not wearing seatbelts stopped on A12
- 5 Lane closure as lorry overturns on A14 in Felixstowe
- 6 Fire at waste centre near Ipswich believed to have been started by battery
- 7 New doughnut and coffee chain opening in Ipswich shopping centre
- 8 Pride as Ipswich A Level students celebrate results
- 9 'The food at this new Ipswich restaurant tastes amazing'
- 10 Taco Bell plans set to be approved
The boys' A final provided an exciting finale to the evening, with 15 year-old Matthew Naunton swimming an outstanding 50m breaststroke in a time of 34.53 to take the win on the touch, closely followed by 17 year-old Mark Stevens.
The girls B final in backstroke was another close race, with 14 year-old Athena Morey taking the win in a time of 38.34, with runner-up Anya Hawkins, 14, in a time of 39.05.
Michael Tween, 15, won the boys B final, swimming breaststroke in a time of 40.09, while Ali Clements was runner-up.
Earlier in the night, the girls C final provided an extremely close race with 10 year-old Beccy Wilson neck-and-neck all the way with 12 year-old Lucy Stokes racing butterfly. Wilson took the win on the touch by 21 milliseconds (41.98).
Adam Last won the boys C final, swimming breaststroke in a time of 44.32 with 10 year-old Louis Seller as runner-up.
In the girls D final, 13 year-old Joanne Cox won on freestyle (38.96), while 13 year-old Jessica Simms was runner-up (41.72).
The boys D final was won by 11 year-old Ryan Smith, swimming breaststroke in a time of 44.06, while 11 year-old Conor Lynch was second in a time of 44.66.