Deben swimmers record personal bests
THREE of Deben's A team amazingly managed personal best times last weekend despite there being no starting blocks.Competing in Haverhill for the second round of Division One of the Summer League, problems with the blocks ahead of the competition led to their complete removal, meaning swimmers had to race from the edge of the pool.
THREE of Deben's A team amazingly managed personal best times last weekend despite there being no starting blocks.
Competing in Haverhill for the second round of Division One of the Summer League, problems with the blocks ahead of the competition led to their complete removal, meaning swimmers had to race from the edge of the pool.
Even with this disadvantage, youngsters Bethany Elmer (second in 12U 50m free), Becci Wilson (second in 10U 50m breast) and Jasmine Seller (first in 12U 50m butterfly) all recorded PBs as their club matched their opening round finish of second place.
The Deben squad's second place finish is even more impressive considering the fact that they were depleted in numbers and had to call upon some reserve swimmers.
Among the outstanding performances was Ellie Scott who swam all four individual events in her age group, as well as three relays, and came first in every single race.
Special mention must also go to Imogen Craig who travelled at short notice after swimming all day for her school in Crawley.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 9 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault
Claudia Collins and Becci Wilson had also been competing in Crawley and Collins gained two second positions, while Wilson also achieved a second place.
Meanwhile, Louis Seller swam to his usual high standard with convincing wins in both the 12U 50m back and 50m butterfly despite competing in an older age group.
The junior girls freestyle and medley relay teams of Wilson, Craig, Scott and Collins then had strong wins by five and nine seconds respectively.
Harry Fulcher took an exciting win on the final touch in the boys 11U 50m butterfly, as did Evie Adams in the girls 13U 100m free.
Jake Garrod and Adams had awesome swims in the last two legs of the 8x25m cannon relay as they pulled back from second place to take a great win in the thrilling last race of the night.
Deben B team hosted the second leg of Division Two of the Summer League on Saturday evening, finishing joint second with Leiston.