Derby deepen Town's woes
Ipswich Town 0 Derby County 1: TOWN'S season of frustration continued at Portman Road on Saturday as Derby County stole the points with a 1-0 win.It was Town's third defeat of the season and it seems the Blues are set for Nationwide nightmares rather than dreams of Premiership promotion.
Ipswich Town 0 Derby County 1
TOWN'S season of frustration continued at Portman Road on Saturday as Derby County stole the points with a 1-0 win.
It was Town's third defeat of the season and it seems the Blues are set for Nationwide nightmares rather than dreams of Premiership promotion.
The decisive goal came on the stroke of half time when the Ipswich defence paid the price for another costly error.
Referee Keith Hill gave a questionable free-kick and Derby took full advantage. Robert Lee swung in the cross and as the Town defence stood still Horatio Carbonari arrived at the far post to turn the ball into the net.
It was another poor performance by the Blues who never really provided the cutting edge to seriously threaten an equaliser.
- 1 Ipswich Station closed as man arrested for possessing a firearm
- 2 Beautiful new bottomless brunches launch at Ipswich bar
- 3 'Lovely to be acknowledged' - Ipswich craft shop pleased with bounce back
- 4 Man arrested after Ipswich train station incident released
- 5 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 North Stander: We've become a sacking club - and that makes me uneasy
- 8 Court to decide how much swindler should repay customers
- 9 Family's gratitude after Christmas samaritan's £50 act of kindness
- 10 Yellow weather warning in place as Storm Barra set to hit Suffolk
The best chance for the Blues came in the 59th minute when Pablo Counago and substitute Finidi George combined well and set-up Jermaine Wright who crossed low for Darren Bent but the young Ipswich striker blazed his shot over from just three yards.
There was no grand finale as Town pressed for a leveller, there was nothing grand about this show at all.
Ipswich must turn things around quickly and only a winning run in the league will be satisfactory.