Dereham make short work of Woodbridge
JEWSON SOCCER: Woodbridge Town 0 Dereham Town 3. An out of sorts Woodbridge ended their home league campaign with a disappointing defeat at the hands of a hard working Dereham side.
Jewson Premier Division
Woodbridge Town 0, Dereham Town 3
AN out of sorts Woodbridge ended their home league campaign with a disappointing defeat at the hands of a hard working Dereham side.
After a poor first half, the Woodpeckers improved noticeably after the interval, but their luck was out during a decent 15 minute spell and Dereham struck twice more with sucker punches. The visitors took the lead in the 10th minute when the home defence stood and watched Neil Maguire line up a shot and place the ball past the passing Garnham. There was little goalmouth action in the opening period and just before the break Garnham did well to turn a header from Robert Stevens round the post.
You may also want to watch:
Woodbridge got into their stride immediately after the break and from a Jamie Scales free kick, Simon Head flashed a header just past the post. A minute later and Head threatened again with a 20-yard volley which was acrobatically tipped over by John West. The visitors survived a further scare from the subsequent corner when Lee O'Neill saw his close range shot cleared off the line.
The game had a better flow in the second half and Woodbridge again cursed their luck when Head once again went close, this time when his effort was cleared off the line. The home revival was halted abruptly in the 75th minute when more indecisive defending allowed Ollie Christie plenty of time to shoot home and four minutes later, Graham Barrett made the points safe for Dereham by confidently striking home a penalty.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 4 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 7 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 10 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears