Double delight for Suffolk’s Peter “Snakebite” Wright at PDC UK Open in Wigan
- Credit: LAWRENCE LUSTIG
Suffolk’s world number three Peter Wright completed his second victory in three days at the Coral UK Open Qualifiers in Wigan, defeating Michael Smith, 6-5, in Sunday’s final.
The Mendham-based Scot had been victorious on Friday, against Adrian Lewis, in the first of six UK Open Qualifiers as players bid to win spots in next month’s Coral UK Open TV Finals in Minehead.
After losing out to eventual champion Simon Whitlock at the last 16 stage in Qualifier Two on Saturday, Wright bounced back to go all the way to take the £10,000 title once more.
Wright overcame Stuart Dutton, Lee Bryant, Paul Harvey with 6-2 scorelines before dropping just one leg against Stephen Bunting.
He then secured a superb 6-4 victory over World Champion Michael van Gerwen in the quarter-finals, before defeating Mick Todd 6-2 in the semi-finals, and Smith, in a close final.
Ipswich’s Mervyn King reached the quarter-finals on the final day of competition, eventually bowing out 6-3 to losing semi-finalist Ian White, having earlier produced two fourth round finishes to earn valuable prize money.
On the Friday, the first day of qualifiers, Ipswich rookie Stephen Burton, making his debut on the circuit, reached the third round before going down 6-2 to King.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food around Ipswich
- 6 Open day for Ipswich pub on sale for £300,000
- 7 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 8 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 9 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
Hadleigh’s Curtis Hammond (6-3 defeat to King) and Rendlesham barber Ryan Meikle (6-1 defeat to Jelle Klaasen) also made the second round.
On Saturday, Meikle went down in the second round to Chris Dobey (6-3), having defeated Suffolk rival Hammond in the first round. Burton lost in the first round this time to Dean Stewart.
Sunday’s action saw Burton, Meikle and Hammond all reach the second round, losing to Bunting, Ron Meulenkamp and Kyle Anderson respectively.
Bungay’s Andrew Gilding twice made the fourth round, losing to Darren Webster and Steve Beaton respectively, while also suffering a third round exit to Mark Barilli
Following the completion of the six UK Open Qualifiers, the top 96 players from the UK Open Order of Merit progress to compete alongside 32 Rileys Amateur Qualifiers in the Coral UK Open TV Finals from March 3-5 in Minehead, live on ITV4.