Dream debut for new Saint Palmer

SIL SOCCER: Results and reports from this weekend's round of SIL matches.

SIL Soccer

Melton St Audry's 1 Woodbridge Athletic 0

TOM Palmer made a dream debut against his former side, getting the winner midway through the first half with a clinical header.

The game was a mediocre affair which the home side dominated for most of the first half and while enjoying possession failed to capitalise where it mattered.

Dunnett missed several clear chances although Athletic keeper Dixon was agile enough to stop another Palmer attempt while Bixby was caused their defender problems on the right flank.

Milbourne missed a sitter to extend his side's lead and while the visitors made inroads into the game the home side's defence was more than capable of handling any problems.

Most Read

Leiston St Margarets 3 Achilles 2

ACHILLESlost a two-goal lead as Leiston fought back to collect a vital victory.

Barber crossed well for Smyth to head home at the start of the second half and a minute later a speculative shot struck Smith and the ball ended in the net.

After 60 minutes Saints were awarded a penalty for shirt pulling, and Ford despatched with force. Saints tried desperately to get the equaliser when Bolderston tripped Deasy – but Achilles missed the penalty.

Straight down to the other end Pilkington sent in a great cross, Cole headed back into the six-yard box, for Harper to head home.

Gibbons came on for Saints and after two minutes of his arrival sent a great centre over for Pilkington to slip the ball home.

Walsham-le-Willows 8 Brantham Athletic 0

WALSHAMmoved to within one point of leaders Grundisburgh with three games in hand with this emphatic victory.

After 24 minutes Walsham took the lead when Partridge's free-kick was powerfully headed by Smith. Parker pulled off a terrific save but Newman was on hand to shoot home.

Shortly after, Keeble made it two and after Brantham failed to clear Crane's corner Moye stabbed home Walsham's third.

After 48 minutes the ball fell to Partridge and he let fly with a screamer of a left foot shot. It was all Walsham and great work by Paul Musgrove set up Keeble for goal number five.

Visiting keeper Parker made several excellent stops. However, Bloomfield's excellent ball was picked up by Paul Musbrove who slotted home.

Wallis' long throw eluded all defenders and substitute Bloomfield thumped home. A great ball by M Musgrove again found Bloomfield who finished superbly with his left foot.

Right on time Brantham's Burroughs was sent off for failing to give his name to the referee.

Ransomes Sports 2 Bramford United 5

THIS relegation six-pointer began cautiously but this was changed when Bramford took a 12th minute lead through Clennell.

Turnbull was unlucky for Ransomes when his effort was blocked by Henry and then saved by keeper Leggett. Potter made it two when he calmly placed the ball wide of Barnett after an abortive offside appeal.

Lawrence increased the lead when he bundled the ball over the line from a cross from Clennell. After the break, Markwell gave Ransomes a lift when he turned and smashed the ball past the keeper.

Almost immediately Bramford increased their lead when a long clearance from Clennell was half saved and Isidore stroked it into an empty net.

Bridger rifled in a tremendous shot which took a very slight deflection, but Bramford wrapped up the points when Isidore's cross was headed home by the unmarked Potter.

Ipswich Athletic 1 Old Newton 2

THIS match was a drab affair with the visitors taking the points to maintain their recent winning streak against an Athletic side who promised much but failed to deliver.

Little was seen of the visitors attack in the first half as Athletic dominated play but made little impression on a compact Newton defence. Etti headed wide with only the keeper to beat and a volley from Beddows was cleared off the line.

Newton had efforts from Clarke and Collins cleared off the line. Athletic pressure paid when they went ahead in the 71st minute, substitute Howard with his first touch latching on to a pass from Mills to volley home.

Newton levelled in the 83rd minute when Richards, clear of defenders, headed home a Clarke corner kick.

The winning goal came in injury time when Pilborough broke out of defence to out-pace defenders and cross for Warnack to head home from close range.

East Bergholt United 1 Haughley 3

WITH five players missing and three carrying injuries on the bench this was always going to be a tough game for the home side.

Haughley started well and took the lead after five minutes when Lummis shot from distance and defender Peck's slight deflection wrong-footed keeper Andrews.

Bergholt responded immediately when Stokes' through ball released Turner and he advanced on Clarke before rolling the ball into the far corner of the net.

From this point until the final quarter of an hour Haughley dominated and regained the lead after 15 minutes when Kidd beat the offside trap and coolly rounded Andrews and the back-tracking Jorgensen before passing the ball into an empty net.

Peck cleared an effort from Powell off the line. Haughley's third goal came on the hour when Noller nodded down superbly for Lummis to bundle home.

Haughley were so dominant and Lummis was guilty of missing a couple of good chances.

Bergholt introduced Gedny, Vernau and Pratt in the second half which led to a late rally.

Haughley thoroughly deserved their win which should have been more comfortable. Even if Bergholt had been at full strength Haughley could have stepped up another gear.

Grundisburgh 3 Capel Plough 4

CAPEL will regard the second half as one of their best since achieving senior status, while Grundisburgh will be shaking their heads wondering how they blew a 3-0 lead, recognising that their defence to date has only conceded 16 league goals.

Immaculate 18-yard finishes from the deadly Beaumont and Cotton inside four minutes from great passes by Bullock gave the home side agreat start.

Capel, playing neat football, should have reduced the lead when Tynon rounded Brightey but missed the empty net. A disputed corner after 42 minutes led to the third goal. Hatcher headed forward and Beaumont steering a delightful header into the top corner.

John Powell, Capel manager, brought himself on early in the second half. The move immediately paid dividends when Brightey, crowded by a goalmouth melee, could only watch a long-range effort from King scuttle into the bottom corner.

Collins added a second following a clinical move and after 82 minutes a long range shot by Saker sailed into the top corner.

Capel swept forward from deep in their own half to leave Collins the formality of coolly shooting home the winner.

Stanton 1 Stonham Aspal 0

STONHAMwere beaten by an early goal from Elers. The scorer battled in the box and after visiting keeper Lay tipped over Turner's quality ball the striker netted after 16 minutes.

Hazleton's last-ditch tackle prevented Moye when clean through. Turner, Elers and Hubbard combined well to release Shave who shot high.

Stonham's Copping broke from midfield only for Robrerts to put in a good recovery tackle.