Duo are eligible to play Seniors golf

NICK Faldo and Seve Ballesteros are both eligible to play Seniors golf this year.As to whether they will appear at Stoke by Nayland in the PGA European Tour Seniors Championship between September 6 and 9 remains to be seen.

By Tony Garnett

NICK Faldo and Seve Ballesteros are both eligible to play Seniors golf this year.

As to whether they will appear at Stoke by Nayland in the PGA European Tour Seniors Championship between September 6 and 9 remains to be seen.

Certainly it would add spice to the occasion if either, or better still both, could take on Sam Torrance who hopes to emulate Neil Coles and Christy O'Connor by claiming the trophy for the third successive year.

It was officially announced only last week that Stoke by Nayland were to host the event for a second successive year. This is a feather in their cap and a terrific bonus for golf in Suffolk.

Last year many people did not seem to realise how many stars of yesteryear, still playing top quality golf, would be turning out.

Most Read

Torrance said: “The PGA Seniors Championship is one of the most important events of the year for me.

“Having won it for the past two years I am looking to make it three in a row.

“I enjoyed the testing course at Stoke by Nayland last year.”

PGA chief executive Sandy Jones said: “We are privileged to be hosting the Championship at Stoke by Nayland again where we know we can be sure of a warm welcome and also an excellent test of golf for the best players.

“Last year all the competitors were full of praise for the course and many agreed that the greens were among the best they had putted on throughout the Seniors Tour.”

Andy Stubbs, managing director of the European Seniors Tour, said: “The addition of the 51st PGA Seniors Championship further strengthens an already impressive European Seniors Tour schedule for 2007.

“Last year's tournament represented our first visit to the PGA East Region for nearly 30 years.

“It was an unequivocal success and we look forward to more of the same this September.”

Susanna Rendall, managing director of the Stoke by Nayland club said: “We are delighted that both the PGA and the top professionals who participated last year are keen to return to Stoke by Nayland for a second year. This is credit to our facilities and staff.

“We look forward to working with the PGA and welcoming everyone back in September.”

The event will again be played over the Gainsborough course although some of the new tees built to lengthen the course for the PGA Europro Tour event between June 26 to 28, may not be in use for the seniors.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter