Duo race to success at Ruchmere Pro-Am
GOLF: Robin Mann and Paul Kent took the honours at the first Pro-Am meeting of the season at Rushmere.Sponsored by John Banks Honda of Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds, Mann and Kent tied for first place by shooting two under par 68s.
ROBIN Mann and Paul Kent took the honours at the first Pro-Am meeting of the season at Rushmere.
Sponsored by John Banks Honda of Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds, Mann and Kent tied for first place by shooting two under par 68s.
Just to complete a good day Kent's quartet took first prize in the team section, edging out Mann's side on countback.
Mann, now playing out of the Felixstowe Golf Driving Range, and Kent (West Suffolk Golf Driving Range) are both former European Tour players who continue to shine around the region.
Former Rushmere assistant Mann has had a golden last three months while Kent has been very consistent since returning to Suffolk.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 4 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 5 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 9 Major road into Ipswich partially blocked after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Women suffers leg injuries after crash on village road outside Ipswich
Both players had adventurous rounds. Mann was three over par standing on the 14th tee, but had three birdies and an eagle to finish two under.
Kent must have thought it wasn't going to be his day when he started with a four over par eight on the opening hole, but picked up six shots in the next 17 holes.
Alex Lucas (Fynn Valley), who finished in third place, also made a bad start by taking seven at the opening hole, but he also recovered, covering the inward half in two under par.
Kent and Mann's teams were four shots better than the team in third place. Keith Keeble, a seven-handicapper from Waldringfield Heath, carded a one over par 71 on a Rushmere course that was in excellent condition, although the greens were a bit on the slow side but held their line well.
Twenty-four teams took part on a fine and sunny day that was in contrast to the day before and day after when it rained throughout.
Prizes were donated by Pin High, Golf Galore and Golf Direct. The next Pro-Am at Rushmere is on Thursday, February 27.
Professionals: 68-Paul Kent and Robin Mann. 69-Alex Lucas. 70-Simon Dainty, Sire Shulver and Neil Lythgoe.
Team event: 123- P Kent, R Kent, D Fairweather and N Goodchild on countback from R Mann, S Richal, K Keeble, D Grieves. 127- A Cotton, J Banks, P Taylor, J Adams on countback from R Hitchcock, P Nayagar, D Prichard and M Grierson.