East Bergholt edge closer to top spot

SIL SOCCER: Capel Plough 1 East Bergholt 5. The visitors ran out comfortable winners in this local derby despite going behind in the early stages.


Capel Plough 1 East Bergholt 5

THE visitors ran out comfortable winners in this local derby despite going behind in the early stages.

Laws gave Capel the lead after ten minutes when he converted Holder's pass but East Bergholt were soon level when, from Powell's quickly taken free-kick, Gedny hit the post and Wilcox scored from the rebound.

Two goals in two minutes from Gedny; the second a superb chip over Hunt gave the visitors a deserved half-time lead.

Wilcox added two more after the break to complete his hat-trick.

Most Read

The home side had chances but failed to take them and the visitors now find themselves only two points behind league leaders Ipswich Athletic.

Stonham Aspel 1 Melton St Aud 4

GARDINER put Stonham ahead after ten minutes, capitalising on a defensive mistake and forcing his shot past McKenna.

A Brown conceded a penalty after 22 minutes which Fryatt scored comfortably to equalise.

Chances were missed at both ends as play was even to half-time.

Melton forced the pace in the second half with Morford putting Melton ahead.

Fryatt increased Melton's lead when he beat Lay when he seemed to have been well off-side in the 70th minute.

Flatman of Stonham was sent off when he was adjudged to have fouled a forward when running in front of him.

Other cards were shown as tempers flared and Melton sealed the points deep into injury time when Morford rounded keeper Lay to tap into an empty net.

Westerfield 3 Leiston St Margaret's 1

BOTH sides came into the game on the back of good performances.

But Westerfield nearly made the mistake of underestimating bottom-of-the-table Saints, who had enough chances to go ahead well before Elden headed into an empty net in front in the 37th minute.

Saints keeper Walker – well out of his goal – kicked clear but straight to Rob Osborne who provided a perfect cross.

Home keeper Forsdike made a great save from Pilkington but could do nothing with a 45th-minute Ford penalty after a foul on Sheppard as Saints replied.

Westerfield pressured strongly after the break and finally took the lead in the 75th minute when the unfortunate Walker, who had previously made a terrific save from Clements, mishandled a cross from Drury under pressure.

Elden again headed in from close range.

In the 81st minute a defence-splitting ball from Creaton found Sandilands who beat Walker to wrap up the points.

Grundisburgh 4 Woodbridge Athletic 1

GRUNDISBURGH brought a three-match losing run to an end with a convincing victory in this derby game.

All the goals came during an explosive first half but with a bit more composure the home side could have doubled the tally.

The opening goal came on nine minutes when Pratt's header crossed the line following a Mongon corner. Two goals in a minute by the industrious Clennell, who had been early thwarted by Mitchell, gave Grundisburgh a three goal cushion.

A far post conversion from a deflected Mongan cross then a powerful 15 yard strike in off the woodwork gave the home side a comfortable margin.

Clarke and Fitch received bookings for dissent before Woodbridge clawed a goal back after 41 minutes, Glencastle netting from the spot after a foul by Lockhart.

Immediately, the margin was restored when a looping back-header by Clarke dropped over the luckless Mitchell.

Woodbridge's best effort came from Selby and Rumens while they had Mitchell to thank for a fine goalkeeper display.


Ipswich Athletic 1 Walsham-le-Willows 8

IPSWICH Athletic were left stunned and bereft of ideas as Walsham's attack cut through their defence with clinical precision.

A four-goal first half salvo broke Athletic's spirit with a fourth minute corner dictating the events of the match.

Wallis missed his kick which led to confusion and Newman pounced to drill a low shot through a crowded goalmouth. After another close call, Newman's persistence broke through an attempted tackle to toe-poke past the advancing Howes.

Wallis then wriggled free and placed his low shot into the opposite corner. Jacobs was unfortunate with an own goal, the ball bouncing in off his leg before he had time to adjust his position.

Athletic rallied before half-time, Ford extending Anderson but Howard couldn't believe it when his volley was touched on to the underside of the bar and bounced clear.

M Moye's thundering header from Austen's cross killed off any chance of an Athletic comeback and it was followed by Wallis striking a post before converting the rebound. Newman richly deserved his hat-trick, picking his spot and a minute later calmly making no mistake.

Walsham's defender J Moye misguided Mills' strong cross past his own keeper but the west Suffolk side marched on to meet Long Melford in early January.

Achilles 2 Tuddenham Rovers 0

A COMPETITIVE Cup tie between two evenly matched teams saw Tuddenham Rovers from the Cambs Premier League concede two late second half goals.

Rovers, previous winners of the Junior Cup in three successive seasons and entering the senior competition for the first time, showed their class in the opening exchanges and put the home defence under pressure.

Home keeper Richards held a close range header from the visitors' striker Reggwifib and a lob was cleared off the line by Barber with the keeper beaten.

In the isolated home attacks, a header from Barber was scrambled away by a defender and Reeder just failed to tap home a cross from Taylor.

Achilles luck held in the 38th minute when a shot from Hawes struck the upright with the keeper beaten.

The home attack looked sharper after the break, but it was the visitors who looked the more dangerous, Richards saving at the feet of Rutter and a volley from Reggwifib deflecting off the crossbar.

As the visitors attack tired, Achilles took control, breaking the deadlock in the 77th minutes with Barber lobbing the keeper from inside the box.

Rovers missed a good chance to equalise with Murkin firing wide with only the keeper to beat.

Achilles booked their spot in the next round when Reeder netted the second in the third minute of injury time.

Stowmarket Res 3 Crane Sports 1

PAUL Trinder, Stowmarket's veteran striker, struck twice as the home side earned a home quarter-final with Bramford.

After an opening half of few clear cut chances Trinder touched home from close range past Crane keeper Roper to give his side a priceless 59th minute lead.

This was a lead the hosts held until injury time when Crane equalised, Middlemass firing home in a crowded area to force extra-time.

Stowmarket substitute Byrne gave his side the lead in the first period before Trinder scored his second in the 110th minute.

Leiston 0 Kirkley 1

IF Kirkley are to complete the hat-trick of Senior Cup wins they will have done it the hard way this season.

Following their win ay Hadleigh in an earlier round they narrowly beat Leiston in extra time.

In front of a crowd of nearly 200 Leiston were first to show when White should have made Barber work harder then the easy save he actually made.

Kirkley dominated the remainder of the half but squandered many good chances. Leiston became more purposeful after the break and dominated for long spells.

Extra time continued in the same vein before what turned out to be the winning goal in the third minute of the second period. A swift counter attack by Kirkley ended with Highfield releasing Glynn whose scuffed shot sailed past Fenn.

Bramford 2 Old Newton 1

BRAMFORD moved into the quarter final of the Senior Cup following this dour encounter with Old Newton.

Most of the first half action centred around midfield when the ball was not being booted into the air. Bramford's opening chance fell to Taylor but he shot wide of the upright.

Evans brought a good save from Leggett in a rare Old Newton attack, Henry's cross ccleared the Old Newton bar.

Lawrence broke through the Old Newton defence but his first time shot was brilliantly saved by Paisley.

Old Newton then had a period of pressure but without creating any clear cut chances. The early part of the second half was still very scrappy and not very entertaining for the quite large crowd.

Bramford took the lead following a corner. The ball was bobbling around in the Old Newton box and fell to Grimsey who toe-poked home.

Bramford quickly increased their lead when a mix up in the Old Newton defence allowed Brown to roll the ball into the empty net.

Old Newton hit back strongly and Bloom's superb strike gave Leggett no chance. Old Newton pressed strongly for the equaliser but the gallant rearguard of Bramford held firm.