Ely shock Stow with late blow

SOCCER: The latest news from the Jewson League Premier Division.

Jewson League Premier Division

Ely City 2 Stowmarket Town 2

MERVYN Smith grabbed a late late equaliser for Ely who came back well from a two-goal half-time deficit.

Stuart Jopling and Colin Yeomans had given Mel Aldis' side the lead, but it was not to be enough and a draw was probably a fair result.

Jopling netted on the half hour, running onto a Yeomans dummy and slotting home.

Ely almost replied immediately, but Yeomans made them pay for missing opportunities, turning well to put Stowmarket two-ahead at half-time.

Most Read

Mike Egan pulled a goal back for the Robins midway through the second half and Smith brought the visitors' defence to their knees with his last-gasp half volley from 12 yards.

Mildenhall Town 1 Maldon Town 2

MILDENHALL started looking eager and immediately had two chances to take the lead when Neil Pope tried to lob Maldon's keeper but was wide.

However he then broke through but was up ended in the box but no free kick materialised.

Then things went downhill for the home side as Maldon started to impose their authority on proceedings and Terry Warwick had a field day.

After missing two good chances he scored on 35 minutes, heading in Emerson's cross when home keeper Thorpe failed to make contact.

Warwick could have had a hat-trick before the break as the visitors dominated.

Immediately after the break Gawthrop headed powerfully home from a corner to level proceedings but within a minute Maldon had restored their lead again through danger-man Warwick.

Mildenhall's defence made a hash of clearing a ball in the area and when it fell to Warwick he lashed it past the helpless Thorpe and put the Essex side ahead.

Mildenhall brought on all their substitutes but they failed to make any impact or to reduce the arrears and the home side went down to their third successive home defeat.

All in all it was a disappointing match for Mildenhall, which is not good preparation for the FA Vase trip to Portleven in Cornwall this weekend coming.

Felixstowe and Walton United 2 Diss Town 2

THE Tangerines were three minutes away from their first away league win of the season at Dellwood Avenue on Saturday when Paul Ager's shot from out of the gloom and mist was deflected home past the stranded Bond by Daniels to earn the Seasiders a valuable point and lift them out of the drop zone.

The Tangerines had first strike on goal after four minutes with Simpson's shot cleared for a corner.

The dangerous Gilman struck the foot of a Felixstowe post with Charters beaten after shrugging off the home defence. A good run and shot from Deasy was blocked by Bond in the Diss goal and the ball parried only as far as Bickers but his side-foot shot into the open goal was cleared off the line by Cornish to deny the home side the opening goal.

On 15 minutes Gilman pounced on a loose ball in the home defence and curved the ball past the diving Charters to open the scoring for Diss.

The Seasiders pushed forward with Sutton going wide from 20 yards and a powerful strike from Daniels was blocked by Taylor.

Charters in the Felixstowe goal was called into action on 33 minutes as he dived to save from Simpson.

With half-time approaching Taylor handled under pressure and Barker stepped up to fire the spot kick low to the keeper's right and level the scores.

The home side pressed after the interval with Bond making a one-handed save to deny Deasy as he broke down the right, the ball dropping to Fuller in front of an open goal, but he put the ball wide as he stretched.

On the hour Gilman forced a corner with Miller heading over as Diss enjoyed a good spell.

After 64 minutes Gilman scored his second when he turned on the edge of the area and fired the ball home just inside the upright and past the diving Charters.

Felixstowe made a double substitution and despite some shaky defending from the Diss side did not look likely to engineer a breakthrough until the 87th minute.

The ball was cleared out of a crowded Diss penalty area but only as far as Paul Ager who let fly from 20 yards with a deflection from Daniels leaving Bond stranded on the wrong side of the Diss goal.

Lowestoft Town 5 Soham Town Rangers 1

THE Blues were looking to bounce back after a disappointing midweek defeat against Dereham.

And they showed some of their best form of the season on Saturday, totally destroying Soham, who had no answer to the home side's attacking.

Lowestoft moved ahead in the 16th minute as Craig Godbold's fierce shot struck Retalick and rebounded to Stewart Roach. His shot was parried by Magnus for Stokeld to hit into an empty net.

Roach increased the home side's goal tally early in the second half and Soham were reduced to 10 men after Thompson was sent off for an off-the-ball incident.

Two more goals from Roach sealed his hat-trick and Godbold netted a fifth for the Crown Meadow side.

Docking grabbed a late consolation for Soham, but they returned home a well beaten side.

Harwich and Parkeston 0 Bury Town 5

A LACK-LUSTRE performance from Harwich and Parkeston saw them slip further towards the relegation mire on a cold and foggy afternoon at the Royal Oak.

Despite carving out one or two half chances in front of the Bury goal, the home side rarely troubled their high-flying visitors and found themselves 2-0 down within the first six minutes of the game.

Both Bury goals were the result of well delivered corner kicks. The first scored on five minutes saw Andy Eady prod the ball home at the far post.

The second, scored just a minute later, was curled in under the crossbar by Alan North. Harwich tried to get back into the game with Grayson and Lewis prominent but their light weight attacks gave the Bury defence few problems, although Bury keeper Andy Hill had to react sharply to cut out a cross from Peter Johnston.

The visitors increased their lead on 33 minutes again from a corner.

North aimed his flag kick into the Harwich six-yard box once again, and Stuart Logan rose unchallenged to head home.

The visitors grabbed number four on 54 minutes when a spectacular dipping shot from Eady gave Harwich keeper Rob Tanner no chance. To their credit Harwich refused to give up and a close range effort from Grayson was scrambled away after good work by Johnston.

Hill then made a fine save from a Gareth Heath free kick but this proved to be Harwich's final attacking contribution. Bury completed a miserable afternoon for their hosts when on 63 minutes Eady completed his hat-trick with yet another well taken goal.