England, featuring ex-Ipswich schoolboy Ethan Waddleton, reach quarter-finals in Las Vegas Sevens
- Credit: cont
England Sevens, featuring ex-St Joseph’s College pupil, Ethan Waddleton, were beaten 19-0 in their quarter-final against New Zealand at the Las Vegas sevens.
Trailing 7-0 at the break through DJ Forbes’ try, a brace from Tim Mikkelson sealed victory for New Zealand.
Earlier, England defeated USA 24-17 in their final Pool game at the latest leg of the HSBC World Rugby Sevens, having already beaten Chile and Samoa.
Simon Amor’s side trailed 12-5 at the break with tries from Martin Iosefo and Perry Baker for United States, while Dan Norton crossed after collecting his own chip forward.
Ben Pinkleman crossed for USA in the second half to extend the hosts’ lead, however, Richard de Carpentier and Tom Mitchell, the latter after a perfectly timed off-load from Waddleton, scored.
You may also want to watch:
Tom Bowen scored a dramatic late effort to win the game.
- 1 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 2 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 3 Man admits exposing himself to women in park near Felixstowe
- 4 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 5 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 6 Anger at 'death trap' road in Pinewood
- 7 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 8 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 9 Ipswich woman who punched partner in face is ordered to pay compensation
- 10 Ed Sheeran announces Christmas show supporting young Suffolk musicians