Exiles out after seven-goal extravaganza
OMNICO CUP SOCCER: Old Newton 5 Ipswich Exiles 2. Old Newton booked their place in the semi final of the Omnico Cup with a convincing win over Ipswich Exiles from Division Two of the SIL.
Omnico Cup Quarter-Final
Old Newton 5 Ipswich Exiles 2
OLD Newton booked their place in the semi final of the Omnico Cup with a
convincing win over Ipswich Exiles from Division Two of the SIL.
The junior side who had beaten Stonham Aspal in the previous round took the game to their senior opponents in a lively opening going ahead in the 16th minute. Keeper Lambert failing to hold a shot from King with Biondi firing home the rebound.
Old Newton got their game together midway through the half equalising in the 28th minute when Richards netting following a goalmouth scramble. Two minutes later the home side went ahead when Clarke tapped home a Bryant cross. Exiles looked sharper after the break but were reduced to 10 men four minutes into the half when King was red carded for an off the ball incident with a home attacker.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 4 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 5 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 6 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 7 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 8 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 9 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 10 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
Despite good defending by Exiles Old Newton increased their lead with goals from Richards, 51 minutes, Bryant 61 minutes with Smith scoring for Exiles in the 67th minute.
The advantage of an extra player paid off for Old Newton when Clarke scored a fifth in the 70th minute to set up a semi final spot against Stanton.