Felixstowe lose out at Swaffham

SOCCER: A full round-up of all this weekend's action from the Jewson League Premier Division.

Jewson League Premier Division

Swaffham Town 3 Felixstowe & Walton Utd 1

This was a crucial match for both sides in their battle against relegation but it was the home side who came out on top as Felixstowe & Walton turned in an inept first half performance and paid the ultimate price as the home side scored three times without reply.

A double substitution at half time saw the Seasiders looking far more effective in the second period but their second-half finishing matched the first-half performance producing only one goal from half a dozen clear-cut chances despite the home side playing the last half hour with a substitute keeper after Higgs was carried off with a damaged knee.

Felixstowe & Walton had defender Carl Gibbs in their starting line-up following his midweek move from Whitton along with Mark Howard playing in the striker's role and while Gibbs was kept busy, Howard was provided with little service in the Swaffham goal area.

Hunter had already headed wide of the Felixstowe goal before Scales gave his side a 16th-minute lead, heading Cranford's free kick firmly past Charters having been left unmarked.

Most Read

Swaffham doubled their tally in the 28th minute when another setpiece move opened up the Felixstowe & Walton defence and Hunter was on hand at the near post to score.

Fowler made it three in the 44th minute as he collected Charters' deflected clearance and, spotting him off his line, fired over him into an empty net from 30 yards.

Williams and Calver replaced Sadler and Deasy at the break and there was far more urgency in the Seasiders' play' forcing an immediate opening as Higgs failed to hold a low cross but Fuller stabbed the ball wide of an empty net.

Forder then saved from Howard before Fuller headed powerfully past him in the 79th minute, but it was too little, too late from the visitors.

Bury Town 4 Soham Town Rangers 1

THROWING off any home ground inhibitions, Bury delighted their supporters with a sparkling display which left Soham trailing a very distant second.

Within eight minutes the die had been cast. Stringfellow, the master, laid on a perfectly-weighted ball across to North, the eager pupil, who made no mistake.

The second, after 30 minutes, was a carbon copy of the first. Once again, Soham were exposed on their left flank as Stringfellow raced into the box with North waiting expectantly.

He was not to be disappointed. The delivery was precise and the finish clinical.

Deeks, replacing the suspended Ince in midfield, performed well and netted Bury's third from an acute angle to emphasise the hosts' superiority.

Bury's only blemish of the day was to let in the free-scoring Docking, who reduced the arrears just before the interval. Totham, back from injury, increased in stature as the game went on.

After one of the afternoon's countless powerful runs down the right by the lively Crawford, the striker was the next to profit from Stringfellow's excellence, being in exactly the right place in the 63rd minute to convert the easiest of chances past the despairing Magnus.

Harwich & Parkeston 1 Newmarket Town 2

Despite missing two penalty kicks Newmarket Town did just enough to edge their way past fellow strugglers Harwich and Parkeston at the Royal Oak in this clash. Harwich got off to the worst possible start, conceding a goal after only 35 seconds.

A free kick was awarded on the left and the ball was squared for Paul Shaw to stroke home with the bemused Harwich defence caught flat-footed. The goal seemed to inject some urgency into the home side.

Newmarket were awarded a penalty on 31 minutes for a mistimed tackle in the box. Paul Shaw stepped up to take the kick but drove the ball wide of the post. Harwich were back on terms four minutes later. An enterprising attack down the right wing produced a low shot from Matthew Stace that beat Oxborough in the Newmarket goal.

The home side were caught on the break after 62 minutes when Alex Rhodes scored from six yards out.

The little Newmarket striker had been a thorn in the side of the Harwich defence all afternoon and thoroughly deserved his goal.

Harwich came forward during the closing stages. Johnston forced Oxborough to save before Mann let fly with a corking drive that went inches over the bar.

The visitors were awarded their second penalty of the match in the second minute of injury time. Rhodes took it and fired wide.

Ipswich Wanderers 1 Diss Town 3

DISS maintained their run of victory against Wanderers with a deserved away win. Wanderers were a pale shadow of the side which has been on form in recent weeks and, after the visitors enjoyed an early spell of pressure, they took the lead on nine minutes when Gilman released Vince and he outpaced the Wanderers' defence before rounding keeper Evans and placed the ball into the empty net.

Wanderers equalised just before the interval when Smy produced a fine cross that Hetherington struck home with the aid of a deflection.

The second half saw Diss dominate, and after Goldfinch had cleared off the line Gilman put Diss in front from close range after Miller's cross had been deflected across the goal by a Wanderers defender. Diss completed the scoring eight minutes from time when Cornish hit a free-kick into the bottom corner.

Woodbridge Town 1 Great Yarmouth Town 0

WOODBRIDGE stretched their unbeaten league run to seven matches with the single-goal victory over a Great Yarmouth side that are struggling at the wrong end of the table. The Woodpeckers created enough chances to have wrapped up the points by the hour mark but, having been without a game for three weeks, their lack of match practice began to take its toll and in the end the visitors could have snatched a draw.

A strong swirling wind made life difficult throughout and, combined with soft underfoot conditions, made it a strength-sapping contest. Woodbridge began well and would have taken the lead inside the opening minutes but for the quick reactions of Nick Banham who blocked a shot from Andy Coote.

The breakthrough eventually came on the half-hour with a nicely-worked goal. Head found Coote on the edge of the box and after he played a neat one-two with Shaun Curtis Woodbridge's leading scorer tucked away his 18th goal of the season. Coote went close again shortly before the break following another assist from Curtis but this time his control let him down.

Stowmarket Town 2 Lowestoft 1

Stowmarket took the lead against the run of play when Platt fired his shot into the top corner from the edge of the area.

In the 32nd minute the hosts extended their lead when Yeomans' dipping drive found the net.

They looked to be heading for the dressing room two-up at the interval but after a handball offence McKee converted from the spot to put the visitors back in it.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter