Felixstowe's task looks beyond them

JEWSON SOCCER: Results and reports from Tuesday night's Jewson League fixtures

Jewson League Football

Felixstowe & Walton 0 Harwich 1

FELIXSTOWE and Walton's Jewson League Premier Division survival hopes took a massive blow when they lost to an 18th-minute Kemp goal to leave them firmly rooted in the relegation zone.

The three points might well secure Harwich's status but the home side are now left with a battle that might be beyond them. They failed to score for the second successive game.

It might all have been so different had they taken two early chances when first Fuller headed wide after Howard headed on Kyle's long throw and then Calver saw his close-range effort go agonisingly the wrong side of the far post.

Having set the pace the Seasiders were then rocked by Kemp's goal after he was left unmarked 12 yards out to beat Charters with a volley.

Most Read

From that point the home side rarely threatened despite having the majority of the play and they might have fell further behind but Charters palmed Heath's low shot on to the post before it was cleared.

Felixstowe huffed and puffed after the break without creating a clear-cut opening as Harwich sat back and soaked up the pressure to hang on to the three points.

Mildenhall 2 Woodbridge 1

LOWLY Mildenhall took the points off an out of sorts Woodbridge.

Chatters put Salmons in the clear but his shot was well blocked by Garnham. Play switched to the other end and Woodbridge were awarded a free-kick from which Gray headed past Thorpe.

It was a fast, open game and Harnwell's long throw found Head but he fired wide when well placed.

Mildenhall were level after 65 minutes when Chatters' cross found Head in space and he fired home past Garnham.

Head then fed Long and his shot was well saved by Garnham, pushing the ball for a corner, which was taken by Chatters and McGregor headed just over.

This saw a period of pressure and the home side were rewarded right at the death when Flitton crossed and Ogilvie headed powerfully home to seal a deserved win.

Lowestoft 2 Ipswich Wanderers 1

LOWESTOFT suffered a set-back when Pike was injured after 14 minutes but substitute Durrant sparked the game into life with some surging runs.

Both teams were reduced to ten men when Pierpoint and Harewood were dismissed. Lowestoft took the lead in the 32nd minute with a Roach header from Norman's free-kick.

Durrant increased the lead in the 39th minute with a 30-yard thunderbolt into the roof of the net.

Ipswich reduced the arrears in the 54th minute when Baker was left unmarked to shoot across Bligh into the net.

King's Lynn Res 1 Whitton United 1

WHITTON claimed a share of the First Division spoils but should have taken all three points.

Whitton dominated for long spells with forwards Swann and Hurd creating space to open up the Lynn defence, but they lacked their shooting boots.

After 26 minutes, an Eaton corner was flicked on at the near post and Callaghan forced the ball into the roof of the net.

Lynn then had their best spell and Dunnett did brilliantly to save at Hunt's feet.

The second half continued in the same vein. Swann twice was denied and Lynn equalised in the 79th minute when Bush stabbed in at a poorly-defended corner.

Right at the death, Gayfer sent in a bullet header and then Snell got on the end of a beautiful move only to see his shot rise over the bar.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter