Final green sees David win cliffhanger

DAVID Daniel of Stowmarket won a cliffhanger on the last green against Suffolk second team captain Alan Middle of Rushmere in the first round of the East Anglian Daily Times Sunshine Challenge.

By Tony Garnett

DAVID Daniel of Stowmarket won a cliffhanger on the last green against Suffolk second team captain Alan Middle of Rushmere in the first round of the East Anglian Daily Times Sunshine Challenge.

Now Daniel is drawn at home to Eric Kiddle of Haverhill who swept past his first round opponent, Mark Henfield of The Suffolk, by a 6 and 5 margin.

The biggest win of the first round came from Jason Grimble of Thorpeness who beat Bernie Gaught of Gosfield Lake 8 and 7.

Gaught, who has been a regular in this event in recent years and is almost always to be found in Portugal in November, said: “It was windy and I had difficulty in finding the fairways early on.

“I enjoyed the game and the fish and chips from Aldeburgh afterwards,” he said. “Jason played very well and the harder I tried the worse it became.”

Most Read

Ben Tawell of Rushmere, losing finalist two years ago, went down 4 and 2 on his home course to Joe Maloney of Woodbridge.

There was some success in the Tawell family with his father Bob, the Rushmere secretary-manager, winning 4 and 3 against Brian Locksmith at Brett Vale.

Tom Wright, the Rushmere club champion last year, had a two-hole success over Nick Denny of Fynn Valley in a match of good quality while Paul Dobson, a winner two years ago, came through a stiff test against Matt Stockdale, a former England schoolboy international, at Felixstowe Ferry.

Holder Kevin Eagle (Rushmere), with a handicap of plus one, had a tremendous match against Suffolk Seniors player John Doe at Diss before winning 2 and 1.

It was a local derby contest between Peter Cooney of Thorpeness and last year's Aldeburgh captain Peter Watson. Home advantage saw Cooney through but only after a well-contested match.

The Aldeburgh flag still flies with David Cargill who beat Charlie Wilderspin of Rookery Park 6 and 4. Now Cargill faces Ray Foreman at Thorpeness in what could be another top-class encounter.

The longer handicap entries battled it out with Robert Boosey of Rushmere getting the better of former Football League referee Richard Saunders of Hintlesham and Winter Rose of Thorpeness winning one up against Julian Hicks at Waldringfield.

The closest game of the round saw Paul Robinson of Cretingham go to the first extra hole before scoring an away win over Michael Deakin of Hintlesham.

Simon Shepherd of Cretingham, who lost in the semi-finals at Ufford Park last year, fell at the first hurdle against Shaun Payne of Rushmere who must have given a disciplined display round the tight Cretingham course.

Tom Fairbrother of Woodbridge, who has developed into a long hitter, beat Martin Sayyad of Rushmere 4 and 2 and now meets Andrew Page of Cretingham who had a bye in the first round.

The second round, to be completed by the end of the month, sees some potentially close encounters.

Joe Maloney, a Woodbridge Tolly player, hit top form in the first round and now has a home draw against Peter Cooney of Thorpeness.

Results round-up

First round: (home player first): Robert Boosey (Rushmere) beat Richard Saunders (Hintlesham) 3 and 1, Julian Hicks (Waldringfield) lost to Winter Rose (Thorpeness) one down, Nick Ross (Stowmarket) beat Jeff van Oevelen (Hintlesham) 2 and 1), David Cargill (Aldeburgh) beat Charlie Wilderspin (Rookery Park) 6 and 4, Michael Deakin (Hintlesham) lost to Paul Robinson (Cretingham) at 19th, Peter Cooney (Thorpeness) beat Peter Watson (Aldeburgh) 2 and 1, John Doe (Diss) lost to Kevin Eagle (Rushmere) 2 and 1, Ben Tawell (Rushmere) lost to Joe Maloney (Woodbridge) 4 and 3, Tom Fairbrother (Woodbridge) beat Martin Sayyad (Rushmere) 4 and 2, Eric Kiddle (Haverhill) beat Mark Henfield (The Suffolk) 6 and 5, Simon Shepherd (Cretingham) lost to Shaun Payne (Rushmere) 4 and 3, Matt Stockdale (Felixstowe Ferry) lost to Paul Dobson (Fynn Valley) 2 and 1, Peter Bicker (Bungay) lost to Ray Foreman (Thorpeness) 2 and 1, Mike Nowosad (Fynn Valley) beat Curtis Mann (Rushmere) 2 and 1, David Markham (Rushmere) lost to Adrian Quinn (Felixstowe) 2 and 1, George Courtney (Woodbridge) beat Robert Thorndyke (Rushmere) 6 and 5, Brian Locksmith (Brett Vale) lost to Bob Tawell (Rushmere) 4 and 3, David Cockburn (Rushmere) beat Larry Marsh (St Clements) 2 and 1, David Daniel (Stowmarket) beat Alan Middle (Rushmere) one up, Shaun Masterson (Rushmere) beat Phil Platten (Woodbridge) retired, Alan Shaw (Cretingham) beat Tony Garnett (Aldeburgh) 4 and 3, Tom Wright (Rushmere) beat Nick Denny (Fynn Valley) two up, Jason Grimble (Thorpeness) beat Bernie Gaught (Gosfield Lake) 8 and 7, Phil Westley (Hintlesham) beat Guy Baker (Rushmere) 3 and 2. There were walk overs for Bill Aldworth (Stoke by Nayland), Ian Brown (Ipswich), Shaun Ayles (Felixstowe), Joe Fairbrother (Woodbridge) and Craig Robinson (Frinton). Andrew Page (Cretingham) had a bye. Extensions granted to Mike Davill (Rochford Hundred) v Richard Sheppard (Ballards Gore), Kim Shead (Ballards Gore) v Frank Fowler (Ballards Gore).

Second round draw: Daniel v Kiddle, Foreman v Cargill, Dobson v Grimble, J Fairbrother v Nowosad, Maloney v Cooney, Quinn v Cockburn, Ayles v T Wright, Aldworth v Ross, Payne v Masterson, Page v T Fairbrother, Eagle v Westley, Brown v Courtney, P Robinson v C Robinson, Bob Tawell v Shaw, Rose v Boosey, Davill or Sheppard v Shead or Fowler.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter