Former champ gets missing title belt back
A championship boxer has had his missing European title belt returned.
Former British and European lightweight champion Jon Thaxton had feared the belt had been stolen at the end of a tribute night.
The former champion, from Norwich, said he noticed in the early hours of the morning that the belt, which he won in October 2008 after beating Juan Carlos Diaz Melero for the vacant European lightweight title, was missing at the Holiday Inn hotel on Cromer Road.
That sparked a frantic search and calls to the police to investigate the suspected theft.
But after news of the missing belt was revealed the boxer received calls telling him it had been picked up for safe keeping and would be returned.
You may also want to watch:
The boxer said he did not believe the taking of the belt was a prank gone wrong, and he was relieved to get it back.
“Someone took it for safekeeping, but didn’t tell me,” he said. “I am going along with that, and when it hit the press people started to phone me and tell me where they thought it was.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 3 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 4 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
- 7 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 8 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 9 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
“The main thing is to get my belt back.”