Framlingham Town and Whitton United share a goalless draw
- Credit: Archant
Framlingham Town and Whitton United played out a hard-fought 0-0 draw on Saturday.
No love was lost between these county rivals in a feisty encounter that saw a few chances created, but no goals scored.
Chris Boardley and Charlie Smith fired over for Framlingham in the first 15 minutes, while Franco Mallardo and Niall McPhillips missed the target for Whitton.
Framlingham goalkeeper, Gary Rose, made the first save of the match, in the 30th minute, getting down low to parry Mallardo’s well-hit free-kick, while opposite number Ross Welton punched Charlie Smith’s dangerous free-kick away from danger.
Two minutes before the break, Rose made a fine one-handed save to deny Josh Cheetham, who had almost started celebrating.
While Whitton might have just about edged the first period, Framlingham certainly posed the greater threat in the second.
Six minutes after the interval, the Whitton goal lived a charm life. After Welton parried Danny Smith’s free-kick, Boardley saw his follow-up blocked by team-mate Matt Aldis, before Whitton scrambled clear.
- 1 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 2 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 3 Bank cards stolen as five cars broken into across Ipswich this weekend
- 4 80-year-old woman was stuck in a lift for 10 hours
- 5 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 6 Matchday Recap: Two second-half goals inspire Town win
- 7 Man who repeatedly hit partner jailed for 64 weeks
- 8 Ipswich cannabis dealer avoids immediate jail sentence
- 9 Delays on A14 after two-vehicle crash
- 10 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
Welton touched Simon Poacher’s free-kick over, before Danny Smith missed a golden chance for Framlingham when he rushed a shot, following Ben Porter-Hardy’s crossfield pass, as his effort fizzed wide.
Smith almost made amends for the miss less than five minutes later when he went on a fine solo run, but his fierce effort struck the crossbar.
Midfielder Poacher then missed another big chance for The Castlemen, in the 70th minute. After Cyrus Thorpe kept a Framlingham attack alive with a forward clip, Poacher saw his quickly-taken poke towards goal roll agonisingly wide of the post, with Welton in close pursuit.
Whitton threatened next. A swift break saw Camillo Douglas get a sight of goal, and he had his head in his hands after Rose kept his powerful close-range shot out with strong hands.
Poacher and Framlingham substitute Max Willett then saw two shots blocked in quick succession by Ben Griggs and Mallardo.
Mallardo almost stole the points for Whitton at the death, but his stabbed effort drifted inches wide.