Gallery: Team Ipswich win top award for swimming at Suffolk County Championships
- Credit: Archant
The Suffolk County Championships took place over the past three weekends at Crown Pools, including teams from all over the county, with Team Ipswich taking the top club award with 2654 points.
West Suffolk were second with 1743 and St Felix third with 1113.
Trophies and medals were awarded for top boy and girl in each age group, with Jake Tyson winning the former and Becky Sherwin the latter.
The last weekend saw the ‘Skins’ finals take place, which is a thrilling format of racing between the fastest eight boys and girl freestylers from all over the county.
They competed over multiple 50-metre races at short intervals, with the slowest swimmer being eliminated after each round.
After a breathtaking competition, Tyson took the win over his team-mate Robert Lancaster, while Josephine Blades of St Felix won the girls’ event with Sherwin taking second place. Both winners were awarded cash prizes.
Team Ipswich took a convincing win in the relay competition, which was the climax to the championships. They achieved first places in ten out of the 16 races over all the age groups, showing the high standard the whole team have achieved.
- 1 'Despicable racism' condemned after letter in post
- 2 Ipswich bricklayer dragged wife out of car before kicking and punching her
- 3 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 4 'It's what I know and love': Former lorry driver opens food truck on A12
- 5 Ipswich man appears in court charged with child sex offences
- 6 Fire crews called to fire on flat balcony in busy Ipswich road
- 7 School in Ipswich 'proud' of good Ofsted report
- 8 Peugeot stolen from Ipswich pub car park
- 9 Homeless man allegedly stabbed man who offered help
- 10 Delays on A14 after Orwell Bridge incident
Head coach Dave Champion said: “It was another opportunity for the swimmers of our club to come together as a whole and deliver great result as a team.
“To retain the Top Club trophy was a great outcome for us and to win the Top Relay Club as well was just a great credit to all the swimmers and coaches and all the hard work they have put in over the past few months.
“To have our young swimmers at their first County Championships, alongside our National Champions, was something great to be part of.
“Hopefully it will be the catalyst for a great season of racing for us here in Ipswich.”