Geordies' take-it-or-leave Ambrose deal
IPSWICH Town are getting barely £1million from Newcastle for Darren Ambrose.The size of the initial fee, for a player who looks set to be coming back to the Blues on loan, reflects the seriousness of the cash crisis at the under-administration club.
By Dave Allard
IPSWICH Town are getting barely £1million from Newcastle for Darren Ambrose.
The size of the initial fee, for a player who looks set to be coming back to the Blues on loan, reflects the seriousness of the cash crisis at the under-administration club.
A Newcastle insider declared today: "Down the years Newcastle United have been very good to Ipswich Town, shelling out £11m for Kieron Dyer and Titus Bramble.
"Chairman Freddie Shepperd has got to do what is best for his club. I understand that Ipswich were
asking over £3m for Ambrose, but this offer from Newcastle was a take-it-or-leave-it one and in the present situation it is one that Town have accepted."
- 1 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 2 Adventure Golf attraction set to make way for new homes
- 3 Cocaine dealers involved in 'Bash' drugs line in Suffolk are jailed
- 4 Teen taken to hospital with serious injuries after Ipswich crash
- 5 Search for new Post Office in east Ipswich
- 6 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 7 Five forgotten Ipswich music venues and what they are now
- 8 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 9 'Real vote of confidence' - New Travelodge starts building work by stadium
- 10 Felixstowe man who trashed his ex's home ordered to pay compensation
Ambrose, 19, flew to Newcastle with his agent David Guise today after initially going to the North East on Saturday.
Meanwhile, Town defender Hermann Hreidarsson was today poised for talks with Portsmouth over a
cut-price move to join the Nationwide League Division One pacesetters.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR