Grundisburgh keep pressure on leaders

SOCCER: A full round-up of the SIL league and cup matches that took place over the weekend.

Ipswich Athletic 0 Grundisburgh 2

GRUNDISBURGH kept the pressure on leaders Walsham with this win at fourth placed Athletic.

The pitch was in good condition in the driving rain but the end to end wind made control difficult in the adverse conditions.

Grundisburgh facing the elements were unable to measure their build-up play while Athletic were over hitting the ball to their strikers.

They had more success with a diagonal ball but visiting keeper Brighty was constantly inaction either gathering the ball or taking goal kicks in the early stages.

Chances were few and far between in an untidy first 45 minutes. Appleford shot well over from a good chance 25 yards from goal and Evans saved Beaumont's low shot at the other end.

Most Read

Appleford and Calver we booked for late challenges and May made a timely interception to stop Cotton running on to a through-ball from Winship.

The home side finally got round the back of Grundisburgh's defence but Brighty clawed away the loose ball after he saved from Ettie at the near post.

After the break Evans made a terrific save when the ball off the Athletic defenders head from Cotton's in-swinging corner but Grundisburgh who played much better with the wind at their backs took a controversial lead in the 55th minute.

Appleford looked to have been fouled in mid-field and the ball was played into Beaumont. Athletic again stood vainly this time appealing to the referee for off-side but the striker went on to coolly finish with a shot into the bottom corner of the net.

Ford was stopped on the run at one end and Winship at the other before Dane Harrold set-up Ettie in space.

The ball was not controlled and the chance to level the scores was gone. Beaumont completely missed a ball pulled back by Southgate and then went a cross came in from Crane on the right keeper Evans did well to stop his close-range header.

But a minute later Grundisburgh sealed the win with Southgate's header from Winship's free-kick in the 73rd minute. Athletic had a good spell of pressure but Grundisburgh looked solid at the back and their strength in mid-field and greater movement up front saw them comfortably in control for the remaining minutes of the game.

Woodbridge Athletic 0 East Bergholt 5

BERGHOLT goalkeeper KevinAndrews scored a goal as the visitors beat Woodbridge.

Gedny held the ball up in the 18-yard area and turned it to Turner whose shot was turned over for a corner by Dixon and then Jorgenson missed the target from close range.

On 30 minutes Gedny opened the scoring when Turner passed a ball into his path.

Bergholt controlled much of the second half playing with the wind and took early control when Turner twice brought saves from Dixon which resulted in corners.

The visitors were passing the ball to good effect, and almost increased their lead on 57 minutes when Gedny broke free from Roberts, but he lifted the ball over the bar.

Bergholt's Howell curled his shot narrowly wide before Turner picked up Gedny with a through pass to score his second on 68 minutes.

Substitute Vernau's 30-yard drive was turned aside by Dixon and Turner's follow-up shot was well saved by the keeper.

Bergholt increased their lead on 70 minutes when Howell picked up a rebound clearance and reacted quickest to slot his shot past keeper Dixon.

On 80 minutes Bergholt keeper Andrews's got a clearance in and the ball bounced over keeper Dixon in the Athletic goal to bring Bergholt to four nil.

Just before the finish Gedny completed his hat-trick when his low shot from the edge of the area.

Walsham-le-Willows 4 Ransomes 0

ALOW Wallis free kick hit the post and Crane's cross back in was turned out by the keeper for a corner. Three consecutive corners came to nothing.

For Ransomes Wilcox had a chance to open the scoring but shot straight at Mustoe. Wallis found Smith whose shot was saved by Charters and Wallis' corner was played short to Partridge who curled a shot into the far corner in the 39th minute.

Wallis had a 35 yard shot hit the bar, then in the 43rd minute Keeble crossed for Smith to score with a diving header

Willcox again got clear but shot over with just the keeper to beat. Then Ransomes put Walsham's defence under pressure with three consecutive corners. P Musgrove with a shot turned out for a corner which Wallis played in for Mark Moye to head home in the 66th minute.

Good football between Willcox and Turnbull was cleared by J Moye. Partridge crossed well to Moye who headed just over. Musgrove's through ball found Wallis who rounded the keeper but got the ball stuck under his feet.

Partridge then crossed for Musgrove whose ball was ruled out for offside. In the 86th minute Crane found the net from 40 yards with a cross cum shot. In the dying minutes Zarkos had a shot saved Paul Musgrove had two and one cleared off the line.

Stonham Aspel 2 Ipswich Exiles 3 (AET)

IPSWICH Exiles beat a Senior Division side for the first time in their long history in this Metaltec SIL Omnico Cup game.

The match was switched to Rushmere Sports Club and after a lengthy inspection the referee decided to give it a go after a delayed start.

As expected the surface was tricky and the first sliding tackle on six minutes ended Theobald's game for Stonham with a nastily looking knee injury.

Stewart was one-on-one with the keeper but S Smith saved well. Exiles took the lead after 18 minutes when King found the net from a Walker cross.

Moye fired home for Stonham but was adjudged off side but immediately scored direct from a corner to put Stonham level.

With the elements really opening up Exiles went 2-1 up after 26 minutes again through King after some farcical Stonham defending.

Thresh put the ball away but the offside flag had been raised for some time. On balance Exiles fully deserved their interval lead.

Neither team could handle the atrocious conditions and not a great deal of football was played in the second half.

Exiles hit the post and perhaps should have tied the game up.

Stonham rallied in the last five minutes and with substitute Copping prominent, Hart equalised in the last minute from a G Brown cross to take the tie into extra time.

Stonham started to exert some pressure in the first period and Moye missed an open goal, as Exiles appeared to tire.

Moye slotted home, but was ruled offside before substitute Capocci won the game for Exiles with almost the last kick of the game.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter