Grundisburgh take full advantage
Suffolk Senior Cup: Grundisburgh 6 Haughley 0This tasty Senior Cup tie promised much between keen local rivals but two moments of early madness were to cost Haughley dearly.
Suffolk Senior Cup
Grundisburgh 6 Haughley 0
This tasty Senior Cup tie promised much between keen local rivals but two moments of early madness were to cost Haughley dearly. On 14 minutes, after Cotton had tested Clarke with a screaming 30 yarder the visitor's keeper rushed off his line in an attempt to clear a Bradford through ball. He made to contact, the ball ran onto Cotton who netted comfortably.
Seven minutes later the ref spotted Powell pulling at Beaumont's shirt in the box.
Cotton maintained his reputation from the spot with a blistering low shot to the keeper's right.
Haughley made a couple of chances through Robertson and a snap effort from Powell flew back off the woodwork. In another Haughley attack Brightey was quickly off his line to save well from Kidd.
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 4 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 5 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 6 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 7 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 8 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 9 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 10 Major road into Ipswich partially blocked after three-vehicle crash
More woe for Haughley on 48 minutes, Edward's rushed out to save at the feet of Beaumont, him impetus carried him outside the box. The result was a red card, harsh in the context of the game but a clear interpretation of the laws by the referee.
As a result tempers became frayed and a number of players were booked, mainly for dissent, while a Haughley official was also sent off.
Haughley, forced to push on found the Grundisburgh defence in great form and the visitors were caught again on 70 minutes when Beaumont, put away down the left, wriggled to the byline before picking out Bullock with a slide rule cross which was cheekily turned over the line with a flick of the heel.
On 85 minutes Beaumont went through an open defence at pace before booting Stevens inside the near post.
Squirrell on as sub added the fifth goal cashing in on a poor clearance, McAlistair struck a post before Southgate forced home goal number six in the fourth minute of injury time.