Hadleigh grab win at Gorleston

Danny Thrower in action for Hadleigh United

Danny Thrower in action for Hadleigh United - Credit: Archant

A review of the weekend’s Thurlow Nunn League games.

Gorleston 1 Hadleigh United 2

Hadleigh gained their second win in less than a week in a re-arranged match at Emerald Park.

An exciting contest looked to be heading for a draw until Danny Thrower hit his second goal of the match after 89 minutes.

Earlier, Thrower had fired in his first goal after 13 minutes while Chris Williams hit the bar from 35 yards early in the second half. Gorleston drew level when Ali McKenna netted after 75 minutes before Hadleigh’s late winner which came when Williams was tackled on the edge of the penalty area and the ball broke kindly for Thrower to convert.

Swaffham 2

Haverhill Rovers 2

Most Read

Haverhill went into this game looking for their first points of the season.

Haverhill enjoyed the upper hand in the early stages forcing a number of corners that would eventually see them take the lead when Marcus Hunt met a Shinn corner to head home.

After 25 minutes the home side put together another good move in the final third that saw the ball fall to George Hutton who scored to bring the scores level. The home team were by now beginning to edge the game and with half-time looming they took the lead with another goal from Hutton who headed home after another good attack.

The second half again saw a very open game and with the visitors continuing to enjoy the better possession a fine run down the left by Alleyne saw him play a pinpoint cross that was met by Weaver who scored from close range.

First Division Braintree Res 3 Woodbridge Town 3

Woodbridge started the better and after only six minutes thought they took the lead only for Sam Cole’s effort to be ruled offside.

On 13 minutes, a pass from George Bowman found Thrower whose left-foot shot was saved by the keeper. Three minutes later the roles were reversed when Georgi Thrower’s pass found Bowman on the edge of the box whose shot went over the bar.

Braintree got the opener and this appeared to knock the wind out of the Woodpeckers and for the rest of the half neither team created any clear-cut chances

Five minutes into the second half, Woodbridge found themselves 2-0 down when Jaffa rose above the Woodbridge defence and headed the ball into the bottom corner. But the Woodpeckers hit back on 56 minutes when Keeble’s long distance volley struck the underside of the bar and bounced over the line. On the hour mark, a pass from Thrower found Sam Cole and with only the keeper to beat he slid the ball into the left hand corner and 15 minutes later the comeback was complete, Bowman’s left-foot volley was blocked by a defender but it rebounded back to him and he rifled it home.

Woodbridge’s celebrations were short lived though when, three minutes later a cross from the right saw Jaffa sliding to get his second of the game.

Haverhill Borough 2 Debenham LC 0

Two first half goals from Ryan Swallow and Lee Hurkett gave Haverhill Borough a 2-0 victory over a depleted Debenham LC team on Saturday.

Borough were on the front foot right from the off, as Craig Pruden found himself one on one with the visitors’ Steve Fenner in only the second minute, but the latter saved Pruden’s shot on goal.

Debutant Dean Craig then saw his effort fly over the bar with 14 minutes gone.

However, Borough were not to be denied, and five minutes later a kick from Charlie Turner to Craig rebounded to Ryan Swallow, who curled the ball into the bottom corner.

Fenner was then needed twice in a minute to prevent Borough from doubling their lead; first as Ben Bradley’s run ended in a shot that was only partially blocked by Jake Gathercole, forcing the goalkeeper to make a smart save.

Minutes later, Craig’s turn and shot from the edge of the box was acrobatically parried wide.

Borough did eventually double their lead just before the interval, as a Tom Hardwick cross found Lee Hurkett free in the penalty area, and the latter made no mistake in burying his header into the far corner.

The second half started slower than the first, and it took until the hour mark for Borough to create a chance.

But when Craig found space just outside the box, his curling effort flew wide of the post.

From there, Borough were content with their safe two-goal lead, and only as time ran out did they create further clear-cut chances to extend their lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter