Ian honoured with key role
GOLF: Stowmarket member Ian Duncan has been honoured by the Golf Club Stewards Association and been appointed vice-president of the East Anglia region of the association for the help he has given them in raising the profile of the long established part of the golfing infrastructure.
STOWMARKET member Ian Duncan has been honoured by the Golf Club Stewards Association and been appointed vice-president of the East Anglia region of the association for the help he has given them in raising the profile of the long established part of the golfing infrastructure.
Steeped in great tradition the association, that was established in 1912 and has 400 members across the UK, is determined to move with the times and earlier this year Ian helped it create and launch their new website to raise awareness and attract new members across the country.
The launch of the web site was in July at the stewards marquee at The Open at Muirfield and has been well received.
Ian said: "I am delighted to be associated with the Golf Club Stewards Association in an active way. Apart from having great fun at their regular golf days, the association provides a great service to its members with advice, support and provides a benevolent fund to assist members, associate and life members, in need.
"It also acts as an employment agency to place stewards in various clubs around the country."
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Ipswich School named among the best in the region
- 4 Plans submitted to turn special measures care home into hotel
- 5 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 6 Illegal immigrant caught running cannabis factory is jailed
- 7 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 8 Four charged over alleged samurai sword attack
- 9 Ipswich pubs offer cash reward to see spiking conviction
- 10 Ipswich Central prepares for new five-year term to change town
Twelve-handicapper Ian launched the www.club-noticeboard.co.uk website to help local golf clubs communicate with their membership more effectively two years ago.
There are currently more than 30 clubs on the website and it is attracting more than 25,000 visitors every month.
"If you are a golfer, it's a great site to keep up to date with local golf news, results, tee times, golf holidays, special offers and much more," said Ian.
Anybody interested in joining the Golf Club Stewards Association should click on www.club-noticeboard.co.uk. There you will find out all you need to know about how to join.
PAUL Buckle and Martin Darling may not be playing county golf any longer, but the Stowmarket members are still both formidable players.
As if to illustrate that point, returned outstanding scores in Stowmarket's November Medal competition.
Buckle, who plays off a two handicap, shot a four under par 65, while three-handicapper Darling had a 66. Both had nett 63s and not surprisingly won Division One.