In the dark over floodlights
LOCAL SOCCER: Am I the only person to query the fact that a professional team can qualify for the UEFA Cup without floodlights, while a non-league side cannot enter the FA Vase?Ipswich Town's match in Serbia against FK Sartid today kicked-off at 2.
By Elvin King
AM I the only person to query the fact that a professional team can qualify for the UEFA Cup without floodlights, while a non-league side cannot enter the FA Vase?
Ipswich Town's match in Serbia against FK Sartid today kicked-off at 2.30pm local time so that it could be completed in daylight.
You may also want to watch:
Football Association rules must be much stricter than those laid down by UEFA. Clubs have to meet stringent regulations before being accepted into the Vase.
The days are long gone since Metaltec SIL sides like Ransomes Sports and Crane Sports were allowed to play in the Vase. And ask clubs like Felixstowe their views on entering the FA Cup and you could get a short reply.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 6 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
Financial rewards may be high for making progress even in the early rounds of the FA Cup, but expenditure in making sure grounds come up to standard can be severe.
It is therefore somewhat of a surprise to see that clubs can withdraw from the Vase at the 11th hour and get away relatively scot-free.
Jewson League Downham Town, who failed to fulfill their Vase fixture on September 7, have been fined a paltry £50. Players get fined more for moderate indiscretions on the field.
Downham are also barred from entering the Vase next season. Big deal, as they no doubt have no desire to anyway.