Ipswich JAFFA, Felixstowe Road Runners and Ipswich Harriers runners all set for London Marathon
- Credit: Archant
Twenty members of Ipswich JAFFA will be toeing the line at Blackheath and Greenwich for this Sunday’s London Marathon.
Several sub-three-hour runners will be amongst them, including Will Law (personal best of 2:36.58), Danny Rock (2:44.38), Ryan Ostler (2:46.50), Craig Fiddaman (2:47.07), Scott MacSephney (2:55.03) and Alistair Dick (2:58.48, over-50 vet).
Ashley Smy, Emma Mortimer (debut marathon), Hannah Wood, Jayne Williams and John Thorpe are also taking part, as are Lisa Bond and Mark Briggs, who both ran the Brighton Marathon only a fortnight earlier.
Over-70 veteran Maureen Wright, who was second in her age category at last year’s New York Marathon, will also be running in the Capital, together with fellow JAFFA veterans Robin Belsom, Steve Dixon, Tim Newton and Warren Birch. Other JAFFA members running include Marcus Catlin (3:09.31) and Sian Abbott.
Ipswich Harriers will be well represented in the London Mini-Marathon, which takes place over a three-mile course from Old Billingsgate to the Mall.
The following have been selected to represent East of England: Tilly Aldis (under-13 girls), Holly Fisher (u-15 girls), George Wharam (u-13 boys), Charlie Turner (u-13 boys), Nathan Goddard (u-15 boys) and Thomas Adams (un-17 men). In addition, Harriers’ Neil Gillingham will be running his 20th marathon (3:27.37, PB).
A big squad of 13 runners will be donning Felixstowe Road Runners vests, to tackle the 26.2-mile test in London.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 3 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 10 pictures of Ipswich pub's light switch-on
- 6 Ipswich Travelodge developer celebrates £7.4m bank backing
- 7 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 8 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 9 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families
- 10 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
Jonny Miles (4:29 PB) has run five marathons in the past, while 27-year-old Gail Mackie (3;38.27 PB) has run three marathons and stalwart Roger Stone (2:55.52 PB) has clocked up 14 marathons.
Other experienced marathon exponents running for Felixstowe include 41-year-old Robin Harper (3:12.18 PB) and Dave Solomon (2:54 PB), despite breaking his ankle only 11 weeks ago.
Both Kev Whelan (3:29.08) and Jo Whelan (4:45.25) ran the Manchester Marathon only three weeks ago, and Steve King (recovering from cancer) completed the Paris Marathon a mere fortnight ago.
Kesgrave’s Katrina Copping and Ipswich’s Nick Williams will be running their first marathons, while Kate Long (4:59 PB), Adrian Paul Goode (3:19.04 PB) and Darren Cook (26 marathons) will also be in action.