Ipswich School flying high in RAF Cup
SCHOOL'S HOCKEY: Ipswich School's Under-18 and Under-16 boys' hockey sides both competed in the regional round of the RAF Cup at Old Loughtonians. The Under-16 side emerged as Eastern Region Champions and secured a place in the final eight of this prestigious competition.
By Martin White
IPSWICH School's Under-18 and Under-16 boys' hockey sides both competed in the regional round of the RAF Cup at Old Loughtonians.
The Under-16 side emerged as Eastern Region Champions and secured a place in the final eight of this prestigious competition.
This is the second year running that an Ipswich School side has made it to the National Finals of the RAF Cup.
You may also want to watch:
The Under-18 team met Felsted School in the semi-final. At the end of a thrilling game the score was 1-1 and Ipswich School went on to win on penalties.
In the final they conceded two early goals to opponents Gresham's School, then fought back well midway through the match. Missed chances left the final scoreline 5-2 to Gresham's.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 5 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 9 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
The Under-16 team took on Braintree HC in their semi-final and at full time the score was 0-0.
In the ensuing penalty shoot-out, George Pinner saved four of the Braintree attempts, the fifth going wide, while Tim Fletcher and Patrick Hughes booked Ipswich School's place in the final by each scoring a goal.
In the final Ipswich School found themselves up against Harleston Magpies, the clear favourites.
They went 1-0 up early in the second half but after that the Ipswich School defence held firm, with Peter Tomiak, Kieran McElhinney and Patrick Hughes doing solid work in the middle and Tom Parry playing a great game on the right.
A wonderful Ipswich School recovery led to goals from Ben Payne, Ed Driver and captain Dan Baldwin and a 3-1 victory.
The team now goes through to the national finals and will play Scarborough College at Abingdon.