Ipswich suffer Midlands loss
HOCKEY: Olton & W Warwicks 5 Ipswich Ladies 2. Ipswich Ladies remain in the danger zone of the English Hockey League's Premier Division after this latest defeat.
Olton & W Warwicks 5 Ipswich Ladies 2
IPSWICH Ladies remain in the danger zone of the English Hockey League's Premier Division after this latest defeat.
Despite a positive approach to the pre-match warm up, it was Olton who were more dynamic from the start and immediately pushed forward from the midfield to get the first short corner.
Helen Grant struck the ball which took a deflection into the top corner leaving Ipswich keeper Hannah Robinson little chance.
Ipswich were still looking shaky when in the 14th minute Grant put the home side further ahead after some quick interchange passing which was not contained by the Ipswich midfield and defence.
Ipswich finally began to react to the Olton pressure with Jo Ellis working tirelessly to provide the forwards with the early ball and the improvement was rewarded when Tanya Barnard deflected the ball past the Olton diving keeper.
- 1 Teenager sexually assaulted and then robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Travellers pitch up in one of Ipswich's busiest parks
- 3 Police cordon in place outside former Grimwades store in Ipswich
- 4 GALLERY: Photos show devastating aftermath of huge fire near Ipswich
- 5 Teenager’s 10 year sentence is warning over ‘horrendous’ acid attacks
- 6 Open air theatre coming to Ipswich park later this month
- 7 'He'd be dead' - mum's terror after wave drags her and baby down beach
- 8 One of the world's largest container ships arrives at Port of Felixstowe
- 9 Mobile phone and laptop stolen in spate of thefts from cars near Ipswich
- 10 Couple get engaged after abseiling down Ipswich Hospital block
The second half saw Ipswich in much better shape, they passed the ball at speed and the midfield kept the pressure on.
Leisa King was again inspirational as captain and Ipswich looked to have more confidence in themselves, but Helen Grant led a quick counter-attack to score her hat trick.
Five minutes later, Kirsten Spencer gave Ipswich their second from a short corner, but Olton then pushed forward in numbers and Lucilla Wright scored twice to put the game out of reach.