Ipswich suffer Midlands loss
HOCKEY: Olton & W Warwicks 5 Ipswich Ladies 2. Ipswich Ladies remain in the danger zone of the English Hockey League's Premier Division after this latest defeat.
Olton & W Warwicks 5 Ipswich Ladies 2
IPSWICH Ladies remain in the danger zone of the English Hockey League's Premier Division after this latest defeat.
Despite a positive approach to the pre-match warm up, it was Olton who were more dynamic from the start and immediately pushed forward from the midfield to get the first short corner.
Helen Grant struck the ball which took a deflection into the top corner leaving Ipswich keeper Hannah Robinson little chance.
You may also want to watch:
Ipswich were still looking shaky when in the 14th minute Grant put the home side further ahead after some quick interchange passing which was not contained by the Ipswich midfield and defence.
Ipswich finally began to react to the Olton pressure with Jo Ellis working tirelessly to provide the forwards with the early ball and the improvement was rewarded when Tanya Barnard deflected the ball past the Olton diving keeper.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 6 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
- 7 Major Ipswich road partially blocked after crash involving Audi and Mercedes
- 8 15-year-old boy to face trial over alleged Ipswich stabbing
- 9 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 10 Specialist engineers working to fix Ipswich flooding hotspot
The second half saw Ipswich in much better shape, they passed the ball at speed and the midfield kept the pressure on.
Leisa King was again inspirational as captain and Ipswich looked to have more confidence in themselves, but Helen Grant led a quick counter-attack to score her hat trick.
Five minutes later, Kirsten Spencer gave Ipswich their second from a short corner, but Olton then pushed forward in numbers and Lucilla Wright scored twice to put the game out of reach.