A look back at Ipswich Town taking on Cardiff in 1984 and a hat-trick for Eric Gates
- Credit: Archant
As we continue to look back in time at previous games Ipswich Town have played against other league opponents, we take a look at when Cardiff City hosted Ipswich in the FA Cup in 1984.
January 7th is a date to forget for Cardiff as the two times the clubs have met in the cup, it has landed on the same day of the year and both times ended in defeat for the Bluebirds.
The first time they met was in 1978, Town’s first opponent (2-0 win) on the way to their famous cup win.
Six years later, in 1984, Cardiff played host to Town in the FA Cup 3rd round, with Eric Gates leading the Town attack and Paul Mariner playing a starring role in midfield.
The first goal came in the 38th minute, Gates netting a deft strike coming from just outside the box, the only goal scored in the first half.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was much different as just four minutes in, Gates netted to make it 2-0.
Shortly after he completed his hat-trick after a well worked team goal and the game finished 3-0 to Ipswich.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 Cardinal Practice 'access issues' to be discussed at key NHS meeting
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 9 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast