Brett Pitman enjoying leading line at Ipswich Town
Brett Pitman is relishing leading the line for Ipswich Town, in the wake of Daryl Murphy’s exit to Newcastle.
Pitman opened his account for the season on Friday in the 2-1 defeat at Reading, having scored 11 times in 26 league starts during his debut campaign.
He often had to play second fiddle to Murphy last season, making 19 appearances from the bench, but has filled the Irishman’s boots well in the lone striker’s role, in the win against Preston and defeat at Reading.
“It’s something I have not done much of in my career, but I have really enjoyed the last couple of games and taking responsibility and helping the team build a base on which to play from,” he said.
Much will be expected of the striker this season, but the former Bournemouth man isn’t concerned, ahead of tonight’s Championship clash at Derby
“I put pressure on myself, I expect to score,” he added.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
- 10 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich