'He is very, very good' - Ex-Town star Bent praises young defender Baggott amid Premier League links
- Credit: Picture: Steve Waller
Former Ipswich Town striker Darren Bent says he understands why Premier League teams are interested in young Blues defender Elkan Baggott - and jokingly asked Leeds United to leave him alone.
6ft 4ins centre-back Baggott, 18, has been linked with moves to both Leeds and West Ham United, as Town battle to tie him down to a first professional contract.
Baggott, who's made one senior appearance for Town this season and has travelled with the first team squad for other games, has also been a key part of the Town U18 squad who have reached the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup.
And Bent told Football Insider: "First of all, Leeds better leave my young Ipswich Town players alone, just leave them where they’re at.
“He’s a youngster I’ve seen quite a lot this season, he is very, very good. I’ve seen him a fair bit and obviously, I still speak to a number of people who have been raving about him.
“Leeds obviously identifying this is a young lad that could get better so I can fully understand it because he’s a good player.
“He reads the game relatively well for a youngster, for a young kid he reads the game very well. He’s relatively comfortable in possession as well.
“The biggest thing for defenders, I think too many people get caught up on like John Stones, for instance, that that type of centre half that can play, can bring it out. I’d compare him more to someone who takes pride in his defending.”
Town are understood to remain confident a deal will be done, with Baggott and his representatives currently considering the contract offer from the club.
- 1 Burglar who targeted aunt's home while she was at her son's funeral is jailed
- 2 New bid for supermarket on Anglia Retail Park could be submitted
- 3 'Evil' sex offender jailed for another 'heinous' crime
- 4 Hundreds of new homes approved for rural village
- 5 Tributes are paid to 'inspirational' teacher Gaynor Jacobs
- 6 Group fined for travelling more than 10 miles to get a takeaway in lockdown
- 7 Global property firm acquires huge new Suffolk logistics site
- 8 Danger warning after seal pup rescued from fishing net by member of public
- 9 First phase of new 2,000 home site approved
- 10 A14 resurfacing works causing traffic chaos on edge of Ipswich