Ellington to sign for Town today
NATHAN Ellington will become Paul Jewell’s third summer signing – and his second attacking acquisition – as the new-look Blues start to take shape.
As exclusively revealed in today’s Evening Star, the 29-year-old striker will sign for Town, subject to a medical, and be reunited with his former boss for a third time.
The player this morning tweeted: “I’m signing for Ipswich today subject to medical. Should be an Ipswich player by end noon!!!”
Ellington, nicknamed ‘the Duke’, is a free agent after leaving Watford this summer and turning down a chance to sign for newly-relegated League One side Preston, where he played 18 times on loan last season, scoring twice.
The striker, who has a career-total of 154 goals in 488 games, arrives hot on the heels of fellow forward Michael Chopra and it remains to be seen whether Jewell pairs the two new men upfront.
You may also want to watch:
Much will depend on the future of starlet Connor Wickham with the 18-year-old an even hotter target for top Premier League clubs now his England Under-21s European Championship dreams are over, without him kicking a ball in anger.
And it will also add to speculation that either Jason Scotland or Tamas Priskin could move on, with Jewell having six strikers to choose from – Ronan Murray completing the line-up.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 5 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces