Gallery: Keane hoping to sign 'four or five'
IPSWICH Town boss Roy Keane is ready to splash the cash in the transfer market over the coming weeks.With his players starting pre-season training at a sun-soaked Playford Road this morning, Keane admitted that two signings were imminent, while he would be looking to add another two or three on top of that before the season's big kick-off.
IPSWICH Town boss Roy Keane is ready to splash the cash in the transfer market over the coming weeks.
With his players starting pre-season training at a sun-soaked Playford Road this morning, Keane admitted that two signings were imminent, while he would be looking to add another two or three on top of that before the season's big kick-off.
And promisingly for Town fans the Irishman doesn't appear to be on a tight budget.
He said: “We've probably been linked with 50 or 60 players over the last few weeks and it would be unfair of me to talk about players until they've signed.
“I hope, in time, to bring in maybe four or five. We are close with two and there will be hopefully be another two or three over the next two weeks.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 7 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
“The fun and games will start over the next few weeks when managers get back to their clubs and take stock of what they've got. It's (transfer market) quite difficult these days with the transfer fees that are mentioned but if you want quality you've got to pay for it.”
With new signing Troy Brown - an 18-year-old Welsh defender who has joined from Fulham - joining in training with his new team mates, Keane went on to outline:
- How EVERY player in his squad is in contention for Ipswich's opening Championship game against Coventry.
- That he wants his squad far fitter and stronger than last season.
- There is 'a long way to go' regarding the potential signing of Manchester United youngster Lee Martin.
- That he has 'taken a gamble' on some of the one-year contract extensions handed out.
- While he reiterated his desire to get the club into the Premier League 'sooner rather than later'.
To hear more from Roy Keane's pre-season training press conference, see tomorrow's Evening Star.