Ipswich: Dutch master Frans Thijssen set for Ipswich Town’s UEFA Cup anniversary celebration
ipswich: One of the architects of Ipswich Town’s march to Uefa Cup glory in 1981 is to return to Suffolk to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Blues’ triumph.
Midfielder Frans Thijssen was a key member of the team which overcame AZ Alkmaar in the two-legged final after a thrilling European campaign.
The Dutch playmaker will join his former team mates at Ipswich Town Hall on May 30 for a reunion – UEFA 30 – to mark the achievement.
A number of other stars from Sir Bobby Robson’s cup-winning squad have also confirmed their attendance at the gala dinner, including George Burley, Paul Cooper, Russell Osman, Eric Gates and John Wark.
Organiser and Blues fan Austen Dack said he was thrilled Thijssen would be at the celebration.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m delighted that Frans is taking time out to come to England for this event,” he said. “Frans was a key part of the side which won the trophy and I am sure supporters would love to attend a gala dinner just yards away from one of their all-time heroes.”
Thijssen, 59, joined Ipswich in 1979 from Dutch club FC Twente and, two years later, was voted Football Writers’ Association Footballer of the Year.
- 1 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 2 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 3 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 4 Ipswich man denies multiple rape offences as trial begins
- 5 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 6 Drunk driver nearly caused head-on crash driving on wrong side of the road
- 7 Cinnabon chain coming to A14 service station
- 8 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 9 Ipswich man led police on 55 mile chase at 120mph
- 10 First look at iconic venue The Baths ahead of Sound City Ipswich Festival
If you wish to join Frans and the rest of the 1981 heroes on May 30, there are still a few tables available.
Contact Austen Dack by calling 07863 123929 or by e-mailing email@example.com. Tickets for the gala dinner evening are �100 plus VAT and can be bought in tables of ten or in pairs for smaller groups. Tables will be issued on a strictly first come, first served basis.
In the coming weeks special tickets will become available for supporters to watch the player interviews and the entertainment after the gala dinner from the auditorium with tickets priced at just �30. These will be available from the Regent Box office.
n What are your memories of Town’s UEFA Cup glory? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN.