Ipswich Town 1 Sunderland 0
IPSWICH Town ensured its fans had a Happy Easter with a fine victory over fellow play-off chasers Sunderland in the Portman Road sunshine.An injury-time penalty at the end of the first half was all that separated these two sides in what was a fine advert for first division football.
IPSWICH Town ensured its fans had a Happy Easter with a fine victory over fellow play-off chasers Sunderland in the Portman Road sunshine.
An injury-time penalty at the end of the first half was all that separated these two sides in what was a fine advert for first division football.
Town strikers Darren Bent and Shefki Kuqi caused problems for the Sunderland defence all afternoon.
And it was Bent who made the penalty after he was brought down by stand-in Sunderland goalkeeper Thomas Myhre at the end of the first half.
You may also want to watch:
Tommy Miller showed no nerves as he stepped up to take the kick and blasted it past the Norwegian keeper.
But it was the much-maligned Town defence that deserves the praise after this game – for once it looked cohesive and in total command.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
Town were rewarded with an all-too-rare clean sheet which pleased the large crowd.
With just four matches left in the season – and with West Ham and Millwall both dropping points – Ipswich are now well in the play-off frame.
Their destiny is in their own hands.