Ipswich Town set to sign former Leeds United goalkeeper, as strike duo join Colchester United and Notts County respectively
- Credit: PA
Mick McCarthy will continue re-shaping his promotion-chasing Ipswich Town squad today, with veteran goalkeeper Paddy Kenny set to join as cover and strikers Balint Bajner and Jack Marriott moving on.
Kenny, who has played more than 600 Football League games and won promotion from the Championship with QPR and Sheffield United, will sign as cover for Bartosz Bialkowski – with Dean Gerken (hip) still sidelined – until the end of the season, and joins fellow January recruit, Freddie Sears.
As for Bajner, the Hungarian, who signed a year-long deal – with the option for a second – at Portman Road in the summer, is set to join League One Notts County on a permanent deal, while 20-year-old striker Marriott has left Conference Premier outfit Woking to go on loan to County’s third tier rivals, Colchester United.
Kenny’s deal runs out at the end of the season but Town will have the option to extend his contract for a further month should they reach the play-offs.
The Republic of Ireland international will be eligible for tomorrow night’s game at Brighton, his contract expired at Bolton yesterday, and will replace teenager Michael Crowe, who has yet to make a senior appearance, on the substitutes’ bench.
You may also want to watch:
A notable absentee from the bench – as he was at Millwall on Saturday – will be Bajner, who will leave the club on a free transfer.
The former Borussia Dortmund B striker became something of a Town cult hero in the summer, netting in two pre-season friendlies, but was hauled after just 44 minutes in his only start for Ipswich – the 2-1 opening day victory over Fulham.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 London man who travelled to meet decoy teen to stand trial
- 7 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 8 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 9 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 10 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
Marriott, whose Town deal expires in the summer, scored five goals in 25 appearances for Woking this season, having hit 12 goals for the Cards last term.
He has yet to make his mark in League football and has endured indifferent loan spells at Gillingham and Carlisle in the last year.