Town U23s to face Blades in play-offs after victory
- Credit: Ipswich Town
Ipswich Town's U23 side finished their excellent season with a 2-0 win at Crewe Alexandra this afternoon.
Kieron Dyer's charges took victory through a Matt Ward strike and an own goal, both in the first half.
The three points mean that Dyer's men finish second in the South Division of Professional Development League Two.
Town will now face Sheffield United, who won the North Division, in the play-offs.
A date for that clash will be confirmed in due course.
With Town's senior side struggling through another dreadful season, the youth teams have at least given fans something to cheer.
As well as the U23s' success, the Blues' U18 team have reached the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup, seeing off several sides ranked above them.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 4 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 5 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: See the three men locked up this week
- 7 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 8 Kesgrave Kitchen praised by local MP after 'fantastic' transformation
- 9 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
They'll host Liverpool in the last four at Portman Road on Saturday, May 15.
Town U23 starting XI: Town: White, Andoh, Stewart, Clements, Crane, Healy, Page, Chirewa, Ward, Simpson, Oppong.