It's a Sheffield steal

FOOTBALL can be such a cruel game, as was the case for so-nearlyIpswich Town at Bramall Lane in last night's Championship thriller.

Carl Marston

Sheffield United 3 Ipswich Town 3

FOOTBALL can be such a cruel game, as was the case for so-nearly

Ipswich Town at Bramall Lane in last night's Championship thriller.

Roy Keane's men were 3-2 up and hanging on in stoppage time, trying

desperately to record what would have been their first league victory

Most Read

of the season, at the 10th attempt.

But just when it seemed as though those precious three points were

within their grasp, up popped Sheffield United skipper Chris Morgan to

poach a heart-breaking equaliser in the 91st minute.

Richard Wright failed to gather a corner kick, and the ball was

bundled home at the far post by a relieved Morgan.

A win over one of the promotion favourites would have lifted a huge

weight off the shoulders of Keane, but instead Town are still

searching for that elusive first win.

And to make matters worse, Plymouth's away win at Peterborough has

condemned Town to the Championship basement.

They really gifted the Blades their first goal, with Darius Henderson

breaking the deadlock after just nine minutes.

It was a scrappy goal to concede. Grant Leadbitter lost possess on the

right flank, where he was crowded out by three Blades players. McAuley

then failed to adequately clear the ensuing cross, although he did get

a block on Ched Evans' shot, which looped up towards Wright.

However, Town's keeper was unable to deal with the danger, missing his

punch under pressure from Henderson. And it was Henderson who

benefited by pouncing on the loose ball to steer it home from close


But Town responded superbly with three unanswered goals to put them

3-1 up with just 12 minutes left.

Man of the match Jon Walters grabbed a cheeky equaliser in the 24th

minute. Carlos Edwards deceived left-back Kyle Walker and delivered a

low cross which Walters converted with a sneaky back-heel. The ball

rolled into the net via the far post, almost in slow motion.

Leadbitter then obliged with his second goal of the season to put Town

2-1 up in the 33rd minute. He exchanged a one-two with Walters before

trying his luck with a 20-yard daisy-cutter that deceived keeper Mark

Bunn and slithered in at the far post.

Town must have thought a first win was in their pockets when Gareth

McAuley headed home Leadbitter's 70th minute corner from six yards


However, Henderson scooped home his second goal of the game in the

78th minute, before Morgan snatched a point at the death to deny Town.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter