Matchday Recap: Norwood completes scoring in Town rout
- Credit: Steve Waller - stephenwaller.com
Ipswich Town beat Charlton Athletic 4-0 this afternoon.
This game was supposed to be the day Ipswich lifted the League One trophy in front of their supporters, or at the very least booked their place in the play-offs ahead of a post-season promotion run.
But instead it’s a game where the Blues can finish 10th at best, if they are able to secure victory and Bolton lose at home to Fleetwood. That’s the sad reality of things.
It’s the same for Charlton, who themselves entered the season with promotion hopes under Nigel Adkins but can finish no higher than their current position of 12th under Johnnie Jackson.
That’s the backdrop for today’s game.
But despite all of that, a crowd in the region of 25,000 is expected at Portman Road this afternoon, in what is another reminder of just how strong Ipswich Town is as a club right now.
All that’s missing is a promotion-contending team on the pitch. That’s what Mark Ashton, new recruitment chief Sam Williams and manager Kieran McKenna will be looking to sort over the summer.
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 4 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 5 'Fantastic opportunity' as Ipswich's Thomas Wolsey pub listed for sale
- 6 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 7 Search ongoing for 29-year-old Suffolk man missing for three weeks
- 8 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 9 5 award-winning restaurants in and around Ipswich you need to visit
- 10 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
Town go into a game without a win in their last five games, so a nice victory in front of a big crowd will be the perfect way to send everyone off into the summer full of positivity.
Ipswich didn’t get to where they wanted this season. Next season must be better.
Imagine the scenes if it is.