New Ipswich Town signing Paul Green has Premier League ambition
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich v Blackpool: New Ipswich Town midfielder Paul Green is keen to test his credentials in the Premier League, and feels the Blues have one of the key ingredients to achieve promotion.
The 30-year-old has joined Town from Leeds United on a loan deal until the end of the season, and is keen to help Mick McCarthy’s men in their final push towards the play-offs.
The ex-Derby schemer could make his full debut in Saturday’s home game with Blackpool, having come off the bench in the 2-2 draw at Barnsley, but the Republic of Ireland international conceded he may also have to be patient.
“I have played in every league from the Conference up to the Championship,” said Green, who won three promotions, from non-league to the Championship with Town’s divisional rivals Doncaster Rovers.
“It would be nice to get a taste of the Premier League and there are a lot of points to play for in the final 16 games of the season.
“Anyone can beat anyone in this league and while Burnley and Leicester have set a good pace, you only have to get on a good run and you can be right up there.”
He added: “A lot is said about it, but I would say team spirit gets you a long way when it comes to promotion and having every player singing off the same hymn sheet.
“Mick McCarthy has got an organised group of players and has won promotion in the past with Wolves and Sunderland and that was a big factor in me coming here. You know what you are going to get with him.
- 1 'From one family business to another' - Cattermole's changes hands
- 2 'This is all I've got' - Woman fighting to keep home where mum died
- 3 Teen fractured taxi driver's skull in 'shocking display of violence'
- 4 46-year-old man who died in Great Bealings crash named
- 5 10 Suffolk celebrities and where they went to school
- 6 Woman bit dog owner during dispute over not picking up mess
- 7 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 8 Burglar caught by family in 'bear hug' jailed for four years
- 9 Felixstowe man to star on small screen with converted Mini Cooper
- 10 Overturned vehicle partially blocking road near Ipswich
“I’m looking forward to playing games again but the players have been doing well so I know I may have to bide my time.”