New role for Foley after Klug departure

IPSWICH TOWN: Steve Foley took charge of his first reserve team and said he is happy to serve any position for the Blues.

Elvin King

IPSWICH TOWN: Steve Foley took charge of his first reserve team and said he is happy to serve any position for the Blues.

Foley's role was changed last week after Bryan Klug left the club. He was switched from technical skills coach and sitting in the dug-out for first team games to running the Town second string.

After seeing his side lose a lead and then fight back to earn a Combination point, Foley explained his position.

“The manager asked me to look after the reserve team, and I'm happy to do so.

“I love coaching at all levels and would do the youth team if required.”

Most Read

Foley came to the club when Jim Magilton was appointed manager in 2006, and his assistant at that time - Klug - had much to do with Foley's arrival.

Talking about yesterday's game played at Ipswich's training ground, Foley said: “It was a competitive game and a run out that was needed after the recent wintry weather.

“We could have scored more goals, and there was an error for their opening goal, but everybody gave their all.”

Out of favour front players Tamas Priskin and Lee Martin were the Town scorers. Priskin, who was a �1.7million autumn buy from Watford, headed Town ahead in the 22nd minute from a Martin cross.

The Hungarian international striker could have settled the game in the opening period when he was through on goal on three occasions.

His footwork left a lot to be desired as he failed to find the target, but there was no denying his force in the air with his nod down from a teasing cross.

Priskin kept going, and it was from his pass - after a cross by Reggie Lambe - that saw a wriggling Martin brought crashing down under a desperate 83rd minute tackle by Jean-Francois- Christophe.

The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot, and Martin, who cost �1.5million from Manchester United last summer, got to his feet to beat Ian Joyce low to the keeper's right.

In-between poor defensive play had seen the visitors draw level and then equalise.

Dougie Freedman set up Scott Spencer for a clean finish after Alex Bruce had failed to clear his lines in the 29th minute and nine minutes later Jamie Dennis was given the time and space to cut inside and beat Ian McLoughlin with a low shot from 20 yards.

Ben Thatcher came through his first 45 minutes of competitive football with no ill effects.

Thatcher, who took time to recover from an injury sustained last season, showed an appetite for the game with Martin buzzing around all over the place to try and lift what was an experienced Town side.

Freedman struck a 25 yard free kick against the post off the finger tips of McLoughlin in stoppage time.

With the game being played across the road from the dressing room complex in Playford Road, mercifully there was only a five minute interval to save spectators from being exposed to the freezing conditions for too long.


Ipswich: McLoughlin; Ainsley, Brown, Bruce, Thatcher (sub O'Connor 46 mins); Lambe, Upson, Quinn, Brandon (Lavery 64); Martin; Priskin. Substitutes: Raneri, McKeowan.

Southend: Joyce, Christophe, Herd, Dennis, M'Voto (Idifuwa 46), Reynolds, Asante, O'Keffe, Spencer (Crawford 46), Freedman, Walker. Substitutes: James-Lewis, Milner, Hasell.

Referee: Mr J Farries.