Perfect ten for Town

IPSWICH Town stretched their winning home run to ten games with this comprehensive victory that took them above Wolves at Portman Road this afternoon.The Blues achieved ten straight wins under Alf Ramsey in 1955/56 - with their best being in 1980/81 under Bobby Robson when Town went 15 games with a 100% home record stretching from December to April.

By Elvin King

IPSWICH Town stretched their winning home run to ten games with this comprehensive victory that took them above Wolves at Portman Road this afternoon.

The Blues achieved ten straight wins under Alf Ramsey in 1955/56 - with their best being in 1980/81 under Bobby Robson when Town went 15 games with a 100% home record stretching from December to April

The clocks go back tonight mean darker nights, but surely a bright future for Jim Magilton and his merry men.

Alan Lee scored his sixth goal of the season with a superb 42nd minute effort, and Pablo Counago notched his fourth with an equally impressive effort. Substitute Danny Haynes scored an equally impressive goal in stoppage time.

Neil Alexander saved Freddy Eastwood's fifth minute penalty as Town kept their second clean sheet of the season.

Most Read

Town named an unchanged side with midfielder Miller failing to recover from an ankle problem sustained at QPR last week after being named in yesterday's squad.

The Blues also had the same players on the bench as they had against Colchester United on Tuesday.


Ipswich Town: Alexander; Wright, Wilnis, De Vos, Harding; Walters, Legwinski, Garvan, Clarke, Lee, Counago. Substitutes: Supple, Bruce, Trotter, Roberts, Haynes.

Wolverhampton Wanderers: Hennessey; Foley, D Ward, Craddock, Collins; Kightly, Olofinjana, Henry, S Ward, Eastwood, Bothroyd. Substitutes: Stack, Jarvis, Little, Potter, Keogh.

Referee: Mr A Woolmer (Northamptonshire)

Alexander saved his second penalty in two matches in the sixth minute after the keeper had been adjudged to have tripped Kightly after a weak back pass by Wilnis.

Kightly went to go round the exposed keeper, but went to ground and the referee had little hesitation in pointing to the spot. After Kightly had slowly limped away from the scene Eastwood saw his right-foot spot kick saved brilliantly by Alexander diving full length to his right.

Alexander, who was not even booked for his 'foul', has now conceded three penalties in three home games.

Ipswich were unable to put two passes together and had yet to venture seriously into the Wolves half of the field.

Wilnis was today playing his 316th game taking him 28th in the list of Town players and one place ahead of Magilton.

Counago's twists and turns won a 21st minute corner that was headed away by Bothroyd, before Kightly showed his pace to run between two Ipswich defenders and blaze a left-footed angled shot two yards over.

It was end to end now and Alexander punched away Eastwood's left-wing, and within seconds Counago had been fouled by D Ward. Clarke had his free-kick blocked by the wall with Harding sending the follow-up high over the bar.

Town fans held their breath in the 32nd minute when Lee looked to lead with his arm as he challenged for a high ball. The referee could have interpreted it as a violent act, but raised a yellow rather than a red card.

Wolves were strong in midfield and breaking keenly, but they were on the receiving end six minutes later when Lee fed Walters with a neat pass from the right. Walters had space in front of goal but mis-hit his effort and the ball struck the corner flag before going for a goal kick.

In the 42nd LEE was joyfully celebrating after scoring his seventh goal of the season - and a cracker.

Legwinski won the ball in his own half and played Garvan into space. The number seven pushed the ball ahead of Lee to run into the penalty area, hold off Craddock and then score from an angle off the outside of his right foot.

It was a fine finish and set Portman Road alight.

Bothroyd sent in a swerving shot from 20-yards that Alexander knocked into the air with one hand. He managed to grab the ball as it dropped on the line as Kightly challenged. An assistant linesmen confirmed that the ball had not crossed the line. Half-time:

Ipswich Town 1 Wolves 0

Wolves 3

The visitors made two changes before the re-start with Little and Jarvis replacing central defender Craddock and striker Eastwood. Collins moved inside to partner D Ward at the heart of the Wolves defence with S Ward now up front with Bothroyd.

COUNAGO was dancing a jig of joy in front of delighted Ipswich fans in the 52nd minute when he put the home team further ahead with a super solo goal.

Walters picked out the Spaniard with a quick throw-in down the right side and the number nine went beyond D Ward to drive on and round the keeper before shooting past two defenders on the line from five yards.

It was Counago's fourth goal of the season, and like's Lee's earlier effort exceedingly well taken.

A chorus of 'Super Jim' rang out from the North Stand to confirm Town fans' recognition of the work being done by manager Magilton.

Clarke was given a great ovation when replaced by Roberts after 69 minutes, with De Vos covering well and booting the ball into touch as Wolves threatened down the left side.

Ipswich were continuing to work hard on an afternoon that was being enjoyed by their supporters.

Striker Keogh came on for Kightly after 73 minutes as Wolves boss McCarthy made his last throw of the dice. A suited Magilton stood with arms folded in front of the dug-out area as the eager Roberts won a 77th minute corner.

This was played back to Legwinski who struck the top of the bar with his left-foot from 20-yards.

Haynes received some last minute instructions from coach Foley before taking the place of Lee with nine minutes remaining.

Walters' curling cross almost found Haynes, but was cleared for a corner with Ipswich now in comfortable control. Walters then made ground down the right and Counago and Garvan got in each other's way as they both had space to shoot.

Bruce came trotting on to take the place of Counago after 88 minutes and went in front of the back four with Haynes left up front on his own.

Wolves had not managed a shot on goal after the break, but Ipswich had - and HAYNES scored his second goal in two games after receiving from Harding in stoppage time.

Haynes made a monkey of a couple of defenders on the edge of the area and then buried a left-foot shot inside the keeper's nearside post to bring the curtain down in memorable fashion. Result:

Ipswich Town 3 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

Attendance: 23,308

Town man of the match: Harding. Wolves man of the match: Olofanjana.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter